Student accommodation for 2nd and 3rd year Watch

_SHLG
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey everyone, was wondering when do I need to start looking for accommodation for my 2nd and 3rd year?? Is there some sort of deadline for applying for housing/accommodation?? Is it possible to find one even without a group? I don't have anyone to go with (sad I know), and I'm a bit worried I won't be able to find anywhere to live for next year.
glittergem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there, I'm in 2nd year and I live in a rented house with two others. People are already choosing houses, in fact there are 2 viewings at my house today. But don't panic! I believe there is an accomodation fair in late November/early December so keep an eye out for an email. There are many agencies online and on the high street that do accomodation, be it a house, flats or private halls. The ones at the fair are recommended by the university, but checking online reviews should help if you want to get a head start.

Last year I had a chat with the people in the advice centre at the students union about accommodation; they told me people are getting housed all the way up to September, but at that point you don't have the choice, so sooner is better in the way you can pick where you want to live. I really wouldn't leave it until summer though as 2015 was the first year they ran out of places.

As for living on your own, there are one bedroom or studio flats/houses available, or you could go into private halls. It depends on your budget, whether you like living with people, what facilities you want, and how far you're happy to travel each day. Also, there will be cases where someone pulls out of a house arrangement, or a group needs one more person for a house, leaving a spare room going - but again this could means living with strangers. Check with people you know in case this is happening.

It's early days yet, but the best houses are already being snapped up so it won't hurt too get looking. Most people are sorted by easter. Go to the fair, have a look online, and if you have any worries contact the university and they will be happy to help you out
_SHLG
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much!! This was really helpful! I'll go and have a look at the accommodation fair and see how it goes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
    Sat, 12 Oct '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.52%
Excited (156)
9.13%
Worried (306)
17.91%
Terrified (380)
22.24%
Meh (168)
9.83%
Confused (37)
2.17%