The Student Room Group

Film BA

Looking at the Film BA undergraduate degree's, how does it actually differ from film production.

I'm applying for Reading, Bournemouth,Kent and Portsmouth (film production course). I'm mainly looking to stay down the south or England but I'm happy to travel 2 hours from London.

Any ideas on a 5th alternative?
Original post by SquareandCircle
Looking at the Film BA undergraduate degree's, how does it actually differ from film production.

I'm applying for Reading, Bournemouth,Kent and Portsmouth (film production course). I'm mainly looking to stay down the south or England but I'm happy to travel 2 hours from London.

There are two universities in Bournemouth - make sure you apply to the right one.

The AUB BA is also film production. The Bournemouth Film course was based in salisbury - it's difficult to be certain of the content because it is starting in 2017 so noone has studied it before.

Film production will usually be a more practice based course. Film will generally contain more (or all) theory or critical analysis. You need to look at the websites of the courses to work out how much.

If it's practical experience you want then filmmaking at uwe, Bristol and Southampton solent are probably worth a look but I would recommend visiting if you can before you apply.

Hi SquareandCircle

Very Important Poster is correct in that in Bournemouth there's the Arts University Bournemouth and then there's us, Bournemouth University.

We offer a number of film courses, including BA (Hons) Film, which is delivered at our Talbot Campus in Bournemouth (well, actually, it's Poole as Bournemouth Uni is really in Poole but that's a story for another day!).

You can find details about all our film related courses here.

We hope to meet you one day at BU!

Best wishes

Sarah
Original post by Bournemouth University
Hi SquareandCircle

Very Important Poster is correct in that in Bournemouth there's the Arts University Bournemouth and then there's us, Bournemouth University.

We offer a number of film courses, including BA (Hons) Film, which is delivered at our Talbot Campus in Bournemouth (well, actually, it's Poole as Bournemouth Uni is really in Poole but that's a story for another day!).

You can find details about all our film related courses here.

We hope to meet you one day at BU!

Best wishes

Sarah

I've applied for Bournemouth University, Film BA. As much as I'm interested in the practical side I would like to look further into the business side and theoretical and I saw that the course covers this. What are the resources like in terms of practical film making ?
I've applied for Bournemouth University, Film BA. As much as I'm interested in the practical side I would like to look further into the business side and theoretical and I saw that the course covers this. What are the resources like in terms of practical film making ?

Hi there

I've spoken to someone in the faculty of Media & Communication and this is what they said:

The first year cameras are currently Panasonic AF101’s, to explore interchangeable lenses and remote recorders. Various other cameras are introduced in the second and third years, depending which unit choices you take. Students can edit on whichever software they like, but workshops are available in Adobe Premiere in the first year and Avid in the second year. There’s currently no studio based filming (everything is on location). Undergraduate Students often help out with the postgraduate students to get more experience and to work on more projects, this is a great way to learn and make those all-important connections for the future.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes

Sarah
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi Very Important Poster

These are links to the Arts University Bournemouth which is not the same as Bournemouth University. The details about our BA (Hons) Film degree can be found here:
https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-film

Best wishes

BU
Original post by Bournemouth University
Hi Very Important Poster

These are links to the Arts University Bournemouth which is not the same as Bournemouth University. The details about our BA (Hons) Film degree can be found here:
https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-film

Best wishes

BU

Hi

I'm PQ

I know that AUB and BU are different - I explained that to the OP in post 2 of this thread.

The links were to provide some comparison on the sort of equipment and studio space the OP might be looking for if they want a course that will train them on industry standard kit.

Is the Bournemouth Film BA accredited by Creative Skillset yet? or due for accreditation soon?
Original post by PQ
Hi

I'm PQ

I know that AUB and BU are different - I explained that to the OP in post 2 of this thread.

The links were to provide some comparison on the sort of equipment and studio space the OP might be looking for if they want a course that will train them on industry standard kit.

Is the Bournemouth Film BA accredited by Creative Skillset yet? or due for accreditation soon?

Hi PQ

I was just concerned that the BU/AUB difference wasn't made clear enough in your original post. Also, the BU BA (Hons) Film is delivered at our main campus, not Salisbury as your second post suggested. It's our BA (Hons) Film Production and Cinematography which is delivered at our Partner College Wiltshire College Salisbury.

As BA (Hons) Film is a new course, it's not yet been accredited. We'll update our website as soon as it has.

BU
Thank you, I'm clear on the differences of the two courses now. I've just received a conditional for the course in Bournemouth for Film BA and I need a minimum of 128 ucas points. I'm taking 4 subjects at A2 however there only going to take my ucas points from 3 a subjects. Does this make my fourth subject pointless in terms of accumulating points?
Thank you, I'm clear on the differences of the two courses now. I've just received a conditional for the course in Bournemouth for Film BA and I need a minimum of 128 ucas points. I'm taking 4 subjects at A2 however there only going to take my ucas points from 3 a subjects. Does this make my fourth subject pointless in terms of accumulating points?

Hi SquareandCircle

Firstly, congratulations on your offer of a place at BU!

You're right, our offers are based on three A-levels (or equivalent) so your fourth subject would not be counted in your final points total (in terms of meeting your BU offer).

I hope that clarifies.

Best wishes

AskBU

Brighton Film School is quite good. From what I've seen they've got good industry links and they're actually cheaper when it comes to tuition fees. You start on a HND for the first 2 years which are something like £6,195 per year in tuition fees rather than £9,250. You then have the option of doing a 3rd year which will top you up to a BA (Hons) if you want to, though you don't have to... that year the fees will be £9,250, though.

Quick Reply