Turn on thread page Beta

Which is a more notable stat to you: a 140 IQ or A*AA at A-Level? watch

ReputationRep:
    Neither say anything.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I struggle to trust IQ scores so probably the A*AA - but if you're genuinely in the percentile you'd need to be for 'raw intelligence' (if that can indeed be fairly measured) to get a score of 140 with a mean of 100 then that is more impressive.

ReputationRep:
    A*AA as it can actually lead onto something (i.e. a good degree at a good university) whereas you can't really do anything with your IQ, and in fact EQ is a lot more important than IQ.

ReputationRep:
    I don't respect IQ. In fact if someone talks about their IQ, I think they are a loser who doesn't have anything going on in their life. I don't know whether 140 is good or not and I'm not interested in finding out. I don't trust it at all. Who are the infinitely intelligent beings writing the tests?

Intelligence is only good if you use it for something. I think the more educated you are, the better you can use intelligence. I don't think exams are a perfect measure of how educated you are but they are the best we have. Having said that, I don't think A level results are very impressive, you still haven't achieved anything by that point.

ReputationRep:
    I actually did get A*AA at a level but I have a pretty average IQ - above average technically but meh.
    with a high IQ comes high potential, but with high grades comes more opportunities
    high potential can lead to more opportunities too though, if the person with the high IQ tried harder
    but that's all a big "if" - I got higher A levels than my sister, for instance, who's a member of mensa.
    higher grades, then, is easier to be seen to be average in nature, because anybody can technically achieve it, while a high IQ is something rare and valuable - you can get the grades of people that try harder much more easily.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Right, okay. My IQ is 14 points below 140 according to a Mensa test. I didn't word the question well really. I want to get an idea of what strikes people more, someone who to them is clearly really bright from the way they speak their sentences, or someone who is highly qualified, such as a PhD student. What strikes me more is going to be, for sure, clearly strong intelligence. There are going to be instances where someone like that won't be highly educated of course. I wonder whether people look up to more highly educated or highly intelligent people.

I'm saying I like strong raw intelligence more than a strong education, but I value a strong education and I like people who have done well in education more than I like simply 'smart' people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I see well that's an interesting question actually. I mean, obviously, the highly educated are often highly intelligent (you'd struggle to get a Ph.D. without high intelligence). I think if you're well spoken yourself you're unlikely to be impressed just from someone else 'sounding clever'. But we can all appreciate high academic achievement.

ReputationRep:
    granted my iq is in the mid-90s and i have a*a*a at a-level, i'd rather have my grades as they seem to open doors xD

ReputationRep:
    An IQ score is a bit like a credit score - essentially meaningless. I would find kindness, humility, respect and self-deprecation appealing about someone. Not something like IQ scores or, worse, A level grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Lol, yeah. Well, generally speaking would you say it is possible to get stellar grades like A*A*A if you are of average or even nearing below average ability? If you're not terribly intelligent can simply 'working hard' (on qualifications, so studying hard) get you anywhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah, i'm in no way intellegent (probably nearing an average level of intellect, from a state school who averages Cs/Ds) and did well. really and truly a-levels are piss for anyone who reads the examiner notes and mark schemes, which is a fairly logical start which most people idk how seem to miss.

the only thing that does get me anywhere i'd say is just hard work, and general people skills or emotional intellegence, which is far more important perhaps for the things i've managed to achieve. unless you want to go work for some tech firm or become a mathematician/scientict of sorts, iq is a fairly redundant metric to measure ones life prospects.

most the people i know who have gone on to make something of themselves even at uni have a percieved higher EQ/people skills, where the purely smart people without this skill aren't on par in terms of jobs and what not. for me i reckon i'm percieved to be smart just because i'm good at manipulating conversations.. and turn litte bits of information into what would seem to be really intellectual points of discussion. your stature is generally what other people 'seem' to think of you as opposed to what actually 'is' as that doesn't matter. you are only what you choose to reveal.

ReputationRep:
    Neither really, I would prefer someone who would be able to compete on the same or slightly better level than me rather than relying on what they achieved at A level or a test that says what their IQ is and the only way to find that out is to talk to them. As another person said, humility, kindness, respect etc is far more important to me.

I have had my IQ tested (we all had to as part of the diagnostic process for middle son) and it is a fair bit higher than average but practically speaking, it's all meaningless. Like the saying goes, it's not the size or the amount but what you do with it.

I wasted mine by the way as I was tempted by the world of work and money rather than education, a decision I now bitterly regret.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Both just demonstrate a certain level of aptitude for a specific set of tests. Neither point to the ability to succeed or express ideas well or get along with people.

ReputationRep:
    A 140 IQ for sure. Statistically, it's far rarer to have an IQ of 140+ than it is to have A*AA+ (out of all those who take A-levels, obviously). I have 4A*s at A-level but I'd be surprised if my IQ is above 130.

Edit: Didn't realise this thread was old...I really think they should remove the feature of bumping threads up when someone edits a post. Especially since this often happens when people want to get rid of something they posted..

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure what your point is.

an IQ of 140 means that you have an IQ of 140

A*AA at A level, could just mean that you studied hard, or that you are naturally talented at exams, or that you got lucky with the paper, or that you are actually good at that particular subject, or perhaps you just had a really hot teacher, or whatever...

As an employer I am increasingly dubious of the value of qualifications, some of my most highly valued employees have little formal education, whilst some of my most highly qualified employees could be replaced in an instant.

As an employer there are few things get riled me up more than employing some guy that has a plethora of qualifications often at a high level, and then turns out to be a clueless idiot.... and it happens often...

ReputationRep:
    a*a*a

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.