Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm applying for a work placement at King's. One of the questions they asked was why I want a work placement at King's .....

I could only think of:
    Transport to there is easy (although I live like an hour away), but underground takes likes 20 minutes.

I thought that volunteering at kings would be a nice asset to my application when applying in the future to this uni.

I like the location... it's central london which is nice.

Central so people from all backgrounds would come

And I'm literally applying to every hospital I could think of right now.

I already made a horrible impression as I have sent them an incomplete email.....

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying to the hospital or the uni, what's the job, and which course do you plan on applying for? I wouldn't really include the location thing as that sounds quite lazy, or if you do include it I certainly wouldn't list it first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    Are you applying to the hospital or the uni, what's the job, and which course do you plan on applying for? I wouldn't really include the location thing as that sounds quite lazy, or if you do include it I certainly wouldn't list it first.
    Hospital, medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Hospital, medicine.
    In that case, I'd explain that you want to gain experience at a hospital which is so closely linked to KCL where you plan on applying to study medicine, then talk a bit about which specialities interest you and obviously make sure that they're departments that they have at King's; here's a link to some of the things they're particularly renowned for: http://shelfordgroup.org/members/kin...undation-trust. Be wary about talking about location, although it's a London hospital it's not as central as some of the other hospitals, for example Guys and St Thomas' hospitals are both more central, however you're correct in saying London does have a very diverse socio-economic background. Talk about the importance of developing a good bedside manner (my friend only got accepted onto graduate medicine on his 3rd attempt in spite of having a relevant BSc and MSc because his bedside manner let him down, and he ended up working as a nursing assistant for a year or 2) and the only way to do that is through direct interaction with patients; your last post on here came across as blunt and sounded rude (especially since I'm trying to help you) and obviously if you can't communicate well with you will struggle to even get a place on a course.

I saw you posted recently and said you're 16 and asked about lying on your application; I definitely wouldn't do that since they check these things as they do CRB checks etc, and there ARE restrictions on what you can do depending on your age. For example, because of the nature of my past hospital job I legally had to be 18 and they needed ID which has my date of birth on it. You can get relevant experience through other means too; I have a friend who got their experience through working as a home carer for dementia patients and to my knowledge didn't set foot in a hospital/GP surgery before she applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    In that case, I'd explain that you want to gain experience at a hospital which is so closely linked to KCL where you plan on applying to study medicine, then talk a bit about which specialities interest you and obviously make sure that they're departments that they have at King's; here's a link to some of the things they're particularly renowned for: http://shelfordgroup.org/members/kin...undation-trust. Be wary about talking about location, although it's a London hospital it's not as central as some of the other hospitals, for example Guys and St Thomas' hospitals are both more central, however you're correct in saying London does have a very diverse socio-economic background. Talk about the importance of developing a good bedside manner (my friend only got accepted onto graduate medicine on his 3rd attempt in spite of having a relevant BSc and MSc because his bedside manner let him down, and he ended up working as a nursing assistant for a year or 2) and the only way to do that is through direct interaction with patients; your last post on here came across as blunt and sounded rude (especially since I'm trying to help you) and obviously if you can't communicate well with you will struggle to even get a place on a course.

I saw you posted recently and said you're 16 and asked about lying on your application; I definitely wouldn't do that since they check these things as they do CRB checks etc, and there ARE restrictions on what you can do depending on your age. For example, because of the nature of my past hospital job I legally had to be 18 and they needed ID which has my date of birth on it. You can get relevant experience through other means too; I have a friend who got their experience through working as a home carer for dementia patients and to my knowledge didn't set foot in a hospital/GP surgery before she applied.
    Hi Rachel,

Thank you so much for the full response. I do apologise for previous post coming across as rude and blunt, that wasn't my intention. Thank you also for a response to my other thread Your post was really useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Hi Rachel,

Thank you so much for the full response. I do apologise for previous post coming across as rude and blunt, that wasn't my intention. Thank you also for a response to my other thread Your post was really useful!
    That's okay! I had a feeling it wasn't meant to, but it's just something to be mindful of when it comes to work stuff.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. King's College London
    Arts and Humanities (Strand Campus) Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.