Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please help me!!! I was on the motorway in a 50mph temporary zone but i overtook a vehicle doing approx 70mph does the camera adjust to the temporary speed or stay at 70mph? If i do get a letter what will be my options as i really dont want points!! Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloelouiseb1996)
    Can anyone please help me!!! I was on the motorway in a 50mph temporary zone but i overtook a vehicle doing approx 70mph does the camera adjust to the temporary speed or stay at 70mph? If i do get a letter what will be my options as i really dont want points!! Thankyou
    I'm not sure but to me generally if a speed limit is say 50mph and you go over by a certain amount even if it's to overtake, you can still get caught? I'm not entirely sure. They may ask you to take a speed awareness course rather than points. I know this because my dad always ends up speeding but I don't know if this applies on motorways too, should do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What type of camera was it? Which motorway and which junctions?

ReputationRep:
    The cameras will be set to whatever the speed limit is. Therefore 50 mph in this case.
    If you do receive a notice, your options are: Pay it or get a larger fine. That's all.

ReputationRep:
    I was on the motorway in a 50mph temporary zone but i overtook a vehicle doing approx 70mph does the camera adjust to the temporary speed or stay at 70mph? If i do get a letter what will be my options as i really dont want points!! Thankyou
    If you don't want points, don't exceed the speed limit by 20mph. It's too late to do anything about this incident now, but you need to be aware that, in the UK, you are being watched.

I detest speed cameras, as they make no allowance for safety, e.g. whether road workers are present, road conditions, or driving style. I hope that you get away with it this time (50mph on a motorway is slow IMO), but please do be careful.

ReputationRep:
    I did that once and got caught. you get a letter inviting you to do the speed awareness course or to pay £100 fine (I think) + 3 points on your licence.

the speed awareness course is approximately 3 hours long, and you basically have to sit through it all and participate e.g. answering questions and filling out the booklet.

generally you're ok to do the course if it's 10%+ 2mph of the speed. anything over it's the fine

ReputationRep:
    It might be a average speed camera, so you might be okay.

ReputationRep:
    generally camera on the motorways are protecting workforce or enforcing variable speed limits ... often average speed rather than point cameras though as average speed cameras are actually effective at reducing speeds ( as the original UK specs installation of the Nottm ring road showed)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.