Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have actually been crying!i wanted great dover st apartments bt have got allocated hampstead and i REFUSE to accept it - it dosnt make any sense!my course is on guys campus and i am gna have 2 pay sooo much 4 travel - i ddnt evn put hampstead as a preference!plllllz help me cz i am really not lukin 4ward 2 uni now...dis is jus my rubbishy luck i am seriusly concerned abwt it - its all thats on my mind since i saw that stupid email afta work....i wanted either GDSA or SSA BT hampstead i cant take it - i cannnnt!!!wat shud i du?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation, but i'm in KCH. Actually so gutted. Submitted my application in February, had an unconditional offer. Put SSA 1st, GDSA 2nd. I know they're so popular but still It couldn't be any further from the Strand campus

ReputationRep:
    yup same here i got kch as well, what terrible luck kch is actually the furthest away from the main campuses. I feel awful now, can we even do anything to change this??

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea, i'm phoning the accommodation office tomorrow to see if anything can be done, I doubt it though. I really don't want to commute though, because I don't want to miss out on all the fun.

ReputationRep:
    to expect to get into gds or ssa only will require alot alot of luck. u shld have always been prepared to go to somewhere else as a back up since they are such popular choices. crying or whining so much isnt going to help.

The diff in rent btwn hamstead and gds will be enough to get you on a travel pass with a student oyster. KCH and Hamstead always have extra spaces, coz thats where everyone who got rejected from gds and ssa goes to. No one in the right frame of mine will wanna swap with you, so i would say your chances are almost zero. You have 2 choices now.

1) Take up your offer in hamstead/kch. They apparently have very good student lives there in terms of partying.
    2) Reject the offer and go through the second round of accomodation for kcl halls in oct
    3) Reject the offer, call up an intercollegiate hall to check if they have vacancies and go to an intercollegiate hall instead.
    4) Find your own accomodation.
    5) put up notices at the student accomodation office/halls and see if anyone wants to swap, though unlikely for hamstead and kch coz there'll be empty spaces at those halls anyway
    Think about it carefully and see what you want to do.

for ppl with other halls offers such as wolfsons, intercollegiate halls, brian creamery, you can actually try and see if anyone wants to swap with you, chances are much higher

ReputationRep:
    Frankly they shoulda made this clearer to applicants...if you live in London or within the m25-you're less likely to get into your 1st or 2nd choice maybe not even up to the 6th choice. Even I who lives an hour away from euston by train, got my 2nd choice-ppl who have their first choice are mostly those who live quite far from london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark and Lovely)
    Frankly they shoulda made this clearer to applicants...if you live in London or within the m25-you're unlikely to get into your 1st or 2nd choice maybe not even up to the 6th choice. Even I who lives an hour away from euston by train, got my 2nd choice-ppl who have their first choice are mostly those who live quite far from london
    well 3 of my friends have got their 1st choice... 2 of them got great dover and one got stamford...and two of them applied later then me!!! so how does that work then?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenMan)
    well 3 of my friends have got their 1st choice... 2 of them got great dover and one got stamford...and two of them applied later then me!!! so how does that work then?!

lol...luck? the whole system to me is mind boggling...it's done by "ballot" not first come first served-which is good to a point but at the same time :rolleyes:

It really is just luck

ReputationRep:
    I was probably one of the 1st people to apply, and I live outside of the M25 (just). I guess i'm just unlucky. Do they really allocate places on distance from London? I just thought it was inside/outside the M25. The only thing i'm hating atm is the fact i won't have an ensuite.

ReputationRep:
    Do a search, you'll find Hampstead and KCH (in particular) have far superior social aspects to the apartments. Sure you have to travel a little further, and you have to share a bathroom but you're in your first year at uni... you're there to make friends and be as social as possible.

At Dover Street and Stamford Street you're very limited in the people you end up mixing with, simply because of the way the flats are arranged. People end up just mixing with those in their flat and in the very immediate vacinity of their flat... there are very very few common areas, and very few hallwide social events.

If you wanna have a good time, KCH is where it's at to be honest.

Hampstead is also in a really nice part of London. Travel is a bit of a hassle, but it's unlikely you'll get to live in quite as nice an area in the rest of your time at King's.

ReputationRep:
    I've found that people from Hampstead Campus have a much more 'hallsy' experience and have a great time. It's a huge campus, there are loads of people there.

ReputationRep:
    I posted about my (amazing) experience of Hampstead last year and direct you to it again now:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...08#post5788608

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark and Lovely)
    ppl who have their first choice are mostly those who live quite far from london
    Result! (I hope)

ReputationRep:
    ^ lol it is just about luck but i'm hearing from the facebook freshers grp that KCL are having computer problems and are having to sort applications out manually now...has your post not come? i got my accomm pack this morning

ReputationRep:
    well i live 4 1/2 hours away n just phoned the accomm office and was on hold for 50 minutes! only for thewm to tell me that i havent been lucky in the 'lottery' of first round allocations and that i will have to phone them on the 1st september- not very happy AT ALL, especially since i applied back in february!!! SOOO angry right now!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hampstead is a lovely part of London (got friends up there), and don't forget you won't be the only student living out there! Yes its further out, but that doesn't mean the community won't be just as fun =]

ReputationRep:
    I wanted GDSA and got King's College Hall!!
    which is much worst!
    what can i do now?
    and Im and international student! all this b***** bout giving us high priority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liewling)
    which is much worst!
    what can i do now?
    I was under the impression that the priority given to international students was to just GET them a place in a residence...not to give them their first choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liewling)
    which is much worst!
    what can i do now?
    Of course you should be given priority to get SOME accommodation, but why should international students get their 1st choice over UK students?

ReputationRep:
    i spoke to them today and they basically said that the first round of allocations is basically luck of the draw, then the second, third etc they take into consideration how far away you live etc.....the system is a load of bull if you ask me!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.