Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I agree! I've got hampstead too, still can't decide whether to appeal or not. I live in manchester and will be studying at the strand ~ don't want to end up with no where to live but arrghh its so anoying!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dollsie)
    ...i will have to phone them on the 1st september- not very happy AT ALL, especially since i applied back in february!!! SOOO angry right now!!!!
    RIng them on 1st september??? what can that do?

OMG i know how you all feel!!! i'm studying at Guy's and they've whacked me in Hamstead!!! I can understand if people study at Strand and they get put there- at least its on the right side of the fricking river!!!!!!!!!! 40 minutes travel everyday just takes the rip! GAH!!! its put me off going to uni for real now. I'm so god damn upset!!!!!!!!!! Its only Kings that is this messed up! UCL have FREE UNI BUSES from halls to campus!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dollsie)
    well i live 4 1/2 hours away n just phoned the accomm office and was on hold for 50 minutes! only for thewm to tell me that i havent been lucky in the 'lottery' of first round allocations and that i will have to phone them on the 1st september- not very happy AT ALL, especially since i applied back in february!!! SOOO angry right now!!!!
    So what happens when you ring back on the 1st september???

ReputationRep:
    I am still really depressed and i am TRYING to be happy bt i can't...it especailly doesnt help that tywo people i Know that live in london gt GREAT DOVER......and how coincidental tht I had HAMPSTEAD out of all of the accomodations!i wouldnt have evn minded stanford street...i reli wanted en suite - i even bought a bath rug n everything - and the ultimate joke is it possibly takes me the same amount of time 2 travel to Kings from my house.....the gud thing bwt gt dover is that it would make it easier for me to access all these facilities in guys campus etc. AND whoever is tellin me that the hampstead ones mix the most REMEMBER that THEY r the ppl in NORTH LONDON all the other campuses are in South london - therefore which campus looks more likely to stick to their own....hmmmm......and so wat if ppl think im being lazy!lol i have every right to roll out of bed and go to lectures if i please......who wants 2 b stuck on the stupid tube for 40 mins kmt.....

ReputationRep:
    ^ I know you're upset but do you realise you're lucky to have even got ANY accommodation...look what happened to Dollsie, accommodation isn't guaranteed to all first years and you live in London-you shouldn't have expected to get your first choice! Great Dover/SSA are the easiest option for most people but there are only like 1200 places in total at both and there about 5000 applicants! It was all about luck and you were unlucky....don't get depressed about it because you have somewhere to stay that isn't at home...travelling 40 mins a day may be the norm in your 2nd and 3rd year, plus you won't be doing it alone!

ReputationRep:
    And it's only 20 mins on the tube....its the walking to finchley road and to guys that'll make it 35-40 mins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark and Lovely)
    And it's only 20 mins on the tube....its the walking to finchley road and to guys that'll make it 35-40 mins
    so....okay i take it that you gt stamford st or great dover yea?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by k89g)
    I was under the impression that the priority given to international students was to just GET them a place in a residence...not to give them their first choice!
    Well I'm an international student and I got my first choice in my first year (Canterbury Hall) and my first choice in my third year (SSA). Though nothing in second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous2k7)
    so....okay i take it that you gt stamford st or great dover yea?

great dover and thats inconvenient for the strand-as it may take up to 40 mins to get there but even if i hadn't gotten my 2nd choice....there are people who are also based at guys! and got Hampstead but are dealing with it and focusing on the positives-although that did take till the next day, because there's basically nothing they can do unless they wanna go the private housing route!

ReputationRep:
    R00fles!

ReputationRep:
    ^

Night bus. The N13 runs all night and goes from the Strand through Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Street, Regent Street etc and takes you all the way home to right across the road from halls. So wherever in central London you've gone out, it won't be a long walk to the nearest stop.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like im in the same boat as you. I put down GDA/SSA as 1st and 2nd choices and got allocated Hampsted Campus. My place of study is Strand campus so thats a 40 min communte either way ...

I am not too worried about accomidation, more so about sharing a toilet/shower. The second reason why i applied for ssa/gda was for en suite.

How many people share a toilet/shower?

ReputationRep:
    I phoned up today because I was gutted about getting KCH, and they said that it's possible to swap contracts with someone so if anyone on Guy's Campus wants to swap Hampstead for KCH because it's a bit closer, let me know!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seraphic)
    I got Hampstead - fourth choice. First was Brian Creamer, second and third were SSA and GDSA. I was just going by proximity, I wanted the halls experience close to London.

Oh well, apparently the rooms are larger and nicer at Hampstead than any other accommodation, and the price and location makes up for the distance (I hope).

The only thing I'm concerned about is transport late at night. The tube closes at 11.30 (I think) and I don't want to be paying £25 taxi fares for every night out in central London.
    The last train is around 12.30...but yeah the N13 is the bus you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seraphic)
    I got Hampstead - fourth choice. First was Brian Creamer, second and third were SSA and GDSA. I was just going by proximity, I wanted the halls experience close to London.

Oh well, apparently the rooms are larger and nicer at Hampstead than any other accommodation, and the price and location makes up for the distance (I hope).

The only thing I'm concerned about is transport late at night. The tube closes at 11.30 (I think) and I don't want to be paying £25 taxi fares for every night out in central London.
    besides...£25 taxi fee between 4 of you is not bad....i wouldn't really advise you to come back alone at night anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Night buses are FINE! They're like, 80p!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so now things are starting to look up for hamstead... but its just going to drain the hell out of me travelling that far everyday! I wasn't prepared for tubing it every day as a first year student... *sigh* but i guess i'm not alone commuting to guys. :/

it really does put a downer on going to uni... i just don't understand why they don't place us according to where we're studying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gam3r)
    I am not too worried about accomidation, more so about sharing a toilet/shower. The second reason why i applied for ssa/gda was for en suite.

How many people share a toilet/shower?
    I rang up Hamstead yesterday and they said it depends- the woman was so slow it was shocking. but they said its as little as 3 and as many as 6... i don't know what that means though. like is it a shower room with load of seperate cubicles with doors and locks, or is it like a full on communal shower... hmm.

ReputationRep:
    i was sad when i found out this morning that im going hampstead even tho i didnt apply there!!!!!!!!! arghhhh

i think i have gotten over it now tho :|

but still shocked..... i feel like im going 2 be a lonerr
    is any1 who is doing the nursing diploma going hampstead????

mwahh xx

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick heads up on facebook there is a hampstead campus group...join it!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.