Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied to read Biochemistry at Brasenose, and I am really anxious to hear back. I heard that invitations to interview will be sent out next week.

I've been getting too far ahead of things. I realise that there is a good chance I will not even get an interview, but just in case I am lucky enough to be invited, I need to ask some questions, preferably to be answered by someone who has gone through this process in the last few years.

Here is my dilemma: I live in the Channel Islands, so it's very difficult and very expensive for me to get there. I will need to fly to Gatwick, then somehow make my way to Oxford. I know that interviews for my course run between the 5th and 7th December, (but I may be asked to get there by noon on Sunday the 4th).

Here are my questions:

1) How can I get from Gatwick to Oxford? This is my biggest issue. I checked for trains, but they are upwards of £40. Is there an alternative way?

2) I will need to get there the day before my interview. Is this allowed, and will I be provided with accommodation? The website says that I need to report by 9am on the 5th (unless I am invited early). If I show up the evening before, will I end up sleeping outside? I know that this is unlikely, and something would probably be arranged, but I don't want to cause trouble for anyone.

3) Will I be provided with accommodation at all? I've been told that I will, but I would like to be 100% sure that I should, in fact, be expecting a room on arrival. What facilities would I have access to (e.g. kitchen, shower etc.)?

4) If I book my flight out for the evening of the 7th, but I am told that I will not have any more interviews after the first or second day, will I still be allowed to stay in the provided accommodation until the morning of the 7th despite my interview process being over?

5) If I am invited to interview, will I get an email or letter containing these details?

I think that is all, for now at least. Apologies for the long and confusing post. Any information at all is greatly appreciated. Also, excuse my arrogant assumption that I will get an interview at all.

Here is a link to the interview timetable in case my explanation of the times and dates was unclear.
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...view-timetable

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustJusty)
    I applied to read Biochemistry at Brasenose, and I am really anxious to hear back. I heard that invitations to interview will be sent out next week.

I've been getting too far ahead of things. I realise that there is a good chance I will not even get an interview, but just in case I am lucky enough to be invited, I need to ask some questions, preferably to be answered by someone who has gone through this process in the last few years.

Here is my dilemma: I live in the Channel Islands, so it's very difficult and very expensive for me to get there. I will need to fly to Gatwick, then somehow make my way to Oxford. I know that interviews for my course run between the 5th and 7th December, (but I may be asked to get there by noon on Sunday the 4th).

Here are my questions:

1) How can I get from Gatwick to Oxford? This is my biggest issue. I checked for trains, but they are upwards of £40. Is there an alternative way?

2) I will need to get there the day before my interview. Is this allowed, and will I be provided with accommodation? The website says that I need to report by 9am on the 5th (unless I am invited early). If I show up the evening before, will I end up sleeping outside? I know that this is unlikely, and something would probably be arranged, but I don't want to cause trouble for anyone.

3) Will I be provided with accommodation at all? I've been told that I will, but I would like to be 100% sure that I should, in fact, be expecting a room on arrival. What facilities would I have access to (e.g. kitchen, shower etc.)?

4) If I book my flight out for the evening of the 7th, but I am told that I will not have any more interviews after the first or second day, will I still be allowed to stay in the provided accommodation until the morning of the 7th despite my interview process being over?

5) If I am invited to interview, will I get an email or letter containing these details?

I think that is all, for now at least. Apologies for the long and confusing post. Any information at all is greatly appreciated. Also, excuse my arrogant assumption that I will get an interview at all.

Here is a link to the interview timetable in case my explanation of the times and dates was unclear.

Thank you!
    Sorry, but I've got one question... Where have you heard that interview invitations will be send out next week? Also, are you talking about Biochem only, or about all subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    Sorry, but I've got one question... Where have you heard that interview invitations will be send out next week? Also, are you talking about Biochem only, or about all subjects?
    It's just something someone heard. It's definitely not for certain, but I thought I would mention it.

Biochemistry only.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The direct and frequent bus?

If it's 9am i am sure they will provide accommodation the night before. You are far from the person with the longest journey to get there.

But just in case, why don't you do them an email to check.

Lol. I can confirm you will have a room.

You will have access to a shower. You may or may not have a kitchen.

Unsure. Email.

Probably both. Check your spam email folder regularly. Yes it will have all the details.

ReputationRep:

Here are my questions:

Thank you!
    1) There is a direct bus into the town centre for around £25/£30
    2) Yes they will give you accommodation
    3) Yes you will get accommodation and access to a bathroom. You may not get a kitchen but the dining hall will serve food for every meal.
    4) Yes you will be allowed to stay
    5) Probably both
    6) Stop stressing! Make sure you phone your college as soon as you get the invite to make them aware that you need extra nights accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The direct and frequent bus?

If it's 9am i am sure they will provide accommodation the night before. You are far from the person with the longest journey to get there.

But just in case, why don't you do them an email to check.

Lol. I can confirm you will have a room.

You will have access to a shower. You may or may not have a kitchen.

Unsure. Email.

Probably both. Check your spam email folder regularly. Yes it will have all the details.
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    1) There is a direct bus into the town centre for around £25/£30
    2) Yes they will give you accommodation
    3) Yes you will get accommodation and access to a bathroom. You may not get a kitchen but the dining hall will serve food for every meal.
    4) Yes you will be allowed to stay
    5) Probably both
    6) Stop stressing! Make sure you phone your college as soon as you get the invite to make them aware that you need extra nights accommodation.
    Thanks so much for the detailed answers!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which colleges respond the fastest/slowest?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm a current first year Classicist at New College & I wrote a blog post on my interview experience which you may find helpful (particularly Classicists...) - https://apieceofviola.wordpress.com/...rd-interviews/ but I also have a YouTube channel and I want to film a video within the next week talking about interviews and how to prepare with advice/tips etc. so if you have any questions whatsoever then send them my way as there will be a bunch of us from all different subjects talking about our experiences and answering questions (I hope) Good luck! xx

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.