Anyone thinking of getting the **** out of UK once getting their engineering degree? Watch

verello12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It's pretty laughable how much engineers get paid in this country considering their work and effort they put in, both during their degree and career.

To give you an idea

Average salary of an engineer the UK. 30k GBP = 37k USD
Average salary of an engineer in the USA. 80k GBP = 100 USD
An engineer with work experience of 2 years in Germany will make about 43k GBP

Before you say "If you're in it for the money then do something else". Let's be real, you might love math and you might love engineering( (which is the case in my situation) but that doesn't mean you don't care how much you're making. Nobody wants to work for less than they are worth.

Opinions?
J_W-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by verello12)
It's pretty laughable how much engineers get paid in this country considering their work and effort they put in, both during their degree and career.

To give you an idea

Before you say "If you're in it for the money then do something else". Let's be real, you might love math and you might love engineering( (which is the case in my situation) but that doesn't mean you don't care how much you're making. Nobody wants to work for less than they are worth.

Opinions?
Have you looked at the long term cost of living in those countries? Health insurance, school costs for children etc?
Vesniep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

To give you an idea

Opinions?
Just go to USA then . It's not a matter of how much you like your degree it's a matter of how much you want to stay in the UK.
I wouldn't stay in my own country just because it's my country ; greek studying in Cambridge here with no intention of returning back.
I thought UK is the country I want to live in . I changed my mind. I'll probably go to USA or Germany/ switzerland /nordic countries/ Canada or Australia . I'll go to a country were scientific research is paid well . UK is/was great for undergraduate courses though.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's complicated, to start your figures are pretty incorrect, starting salary is £25k+ for engineers in the UK let alone average, become chartered and you're looking at £40k at the lowest and £60-70k once settled into your career, if you go into niche areas or academia you'll likely be looking at 6 figures. Starting salary in the US is much higher than the UK, but there isn't nearly as much room for salary increase as in the UK and you'll be working much harder and longer for your pay because of the dire state of American work culture. Also bear in mind that the Brexit collapse has rather screwed up currency conversions and the practical buying power of 1 GBP in the UK is still ~$1.5.

Then there's the immigration situation, it's nigh on impossible to immigrate between the countries you've mentioned, for certain areas like Aerospace and Nuclear it is impossible. All of the major visas for the US involve a lottery system which are heavily biased towards developing countries, you can also do a transfer but again that requires working in the UK for a good number of years and isn't guaranteed. For Germany you don't have a movement problem (yet) but you do have a language, culture and demographic problem, there are a lot of qualified German engineers, there is a general avoidance of hiring foreigners for skilled jobs (even for those educated at German universities), and you can pretty much forget about applying if you're not near fluent in German. Then there's the potential lack of prominence of your area of engineering, e.g. not a whole lot of aerospace in Germanic countries. Similar problems apply to Scandinavia and Switzerland. France and the Netherlands are better but still have some of those problems and don't have too much of a pay advantage over the UK.
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

To give you an idea

Opinions?
Average salary is way lower as the above poster has said and while i do agree with some of the points he said i don't particularly agree with most of it.

It is possible to earn a very good salary in the UK too but it will largely depend on your particular skill and what kind of engineer you become (e.g. patent attorney engineering lawyers can get paid over £100k once almost fully qualified.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (212)
12.76%
Excited (148)
8.9%
Worried (302)
18.17%
Terrified (374)
22.5%
Meh (151)
9.09%
Confused (36)
2.17%