Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone know their audio technology? 3.5mm jacks? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I recently bought a Cloud II HyperX headset, with detachable microphone.

All works fine with 3.5mm and usb on my tablet, microphone on or off.

But it doesn't work properly on my Lumia 730 phone. It only works when I plug in the microphone to the headset. I don't think it's a headset fault, they work fine on the tablet.

-The headset works with my phone, without the microphone attached, when I plug the jack in partially.
    -If I then attach the microphone, it continues to work fine.
    -If I then push the jack in all the way, with the microphone still attached, it stops working!

Wth?! Putting the microphone in makes it no longer work with my phone, but only when the jack is pushed fully in. I obviously can't walk around with a half pushed in jack, which is the only way it works with the microphone off!

Also, I have a set of earphones that look like that have the same jack - with the 3 black stripes - and these work fine on my phone. Also, the headset, microphone or not, works perfectly with my friend's phone.

Is there a reason why the microphone would be affecting the sound coming through the headset, only from my phone? And why putting the jack in partially would alter this? I'm thinking the phone is detecting the headset as a headset when the microphone is plugged in, and as headphones when it's out, and is having some confusion. Perhaps when the jack is slightly pulled out, this affects what it's detecting the headset as? Seems to be having trouble with realising that it should be treated as headphones when the microphone is plugged into the headset, unless I pull the jack out slightly....What's more, even though the headphones work when I plug the microphone into my lumia, the microphone doesn't! Haha .

I've been reading around, and learned about the difference between 3 ring and 2 ring 3.5mm jacks. A 3 ring jack means, in my case, that the headset has microphone capabilities.

So, perhaps:
    -The phone is seeing the headset as a headset (w/ mic) when the jack is fully pushed in, and so I get sound (and the microphone not working is a compatability issue, perhaps the order of the rings that separate the metal on the jack is wrong for my nokia lumia).
    -When the jack is partly pushed in, my phone sees it as 2-ring 3.5mm jack, and so the earphones of the headset work without a mic needing to attached, as 2-ring jacks don't allow microphone data.

This is all speculation, but I think it fits the evidence.

What dya think? Am I right? Is there a convertor to solve this if so?

Thank you!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by _Bright Eyes)
    Hi! I recently bought a Cloud II HyperX headset, with detachable microphone.

All works fine with 3.5mm and usb on my tablet, microphone on or off.

But it doesn't work properly on my Lumia 730 phone. It only works when I plug in the microphone to the headset. I don't think it's a headset fault, they work fine on the tablet.

-The headset works with my phone, without the microphone attached, when I plug the jack in partially.
    -If I then attach the microphone, it continues to work fine.
    -If I then push the jack in all the way, with the microphone still attached, it stops working!

Wth?! Putting the microphone in makes it no longer work with my phone, but only when the jack is pushed fully in. I obviously can't walk around with a half pushed in jack, which is the only way it works with the microphone off!

Also, I have a set of earphones that look like that have the same jack - with the 3 black stripes - and these work fine on my phone. Also, the headset, microphone or not, works perfectly with my friend's phone.

Is there a reason why the microphone would be affecting the sound coming through the headset, only from my phone? And why putting the jack in partially would alter this? I'm thinking the phone is detecting the headset as a headset when the microphone is plugged in, and as headphones when it's out, and is having some confusion. Perhaps when the jack is slightly pulled out, this affects what it's detecting the headset as? Seems to be having trouble with realising that it should be treated as headphones when the microphone is plugged into the headset, unless I pull the jack out slightly....What's more, even though the headphones work when I plug the microphone into my lumia, the microphone doesn't! Haha .

I've been reading around, and learned about the difference between 3 ring and 2 ring 3.5mm jacks. A 3 ring jack means, in my case, that the headset has microphone capabilities.

So, perhaps:
    -The phone is seeing the headset as a headset (w/ mic) when the jack is fully pushed in, and so I get sound (and the microphone not working is a compatability issue, perhaps the order of the rings that separate the metal on the jack is wrong for my nokia lumia).
    -When the jack is partly pushed in, my phone sees it as 2-ring 3.5mm jack, and so the earphones of the headset work without a mic needing to attached, as 2-ring jacks don't allow microphone data.

This is all speculation, but I think it fits the evidence.

What dya think? Am I right? Is there a convertor to solve this if so?

Thank you!
    I read that and deicded its too early in the morning.
    I think there were some contadictions i your explanation, but might just be me.
    That said I think you are correct and its the difference between a 4 pole and 3 pole connector. The difference being the microphone.

Your phone should really accept the headset because its designed for that.
    Not sure why the headset isnt working with your phone as it should accept a 4 ring connector. Just ring the support desk as they should be aware .of any specific incompatabiliyu issues.

http://support.kingston.com/en/hyper...model=KHX-HSCP

Ps you can get a convertor to make 3 pole connectors devices (non microphone) take 4 pole headsets. I have one but not sure when I bought it. @gofre probably knows more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 13, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.