Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my son did a foundation year but failed one module so re took the year again but it only cost 2500 as it was the failed module and a new module, so this year he has just began the first year of his new degree, in september student finance agreed to pay the 9000 tuition fees and maintence loan and grant, now nearly two months into the degree they have sent a letter refusing to pay tuition fees! can they do this? my son would never have been able to start this year had we known, there is no way i have 9000.surely this is wrong, i knew i would have to fund the finale year but would have been in a better position then, please help with any advice, regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michelle30)
    i knew i would have to fund the finale year but would have been in a better position then, please help with any advice, regards
    When you need to self-fund a year in order to complete a course, it comes at the start of the course and not the end.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi, my son did a foundation year but failed one module so re took the year again but it only cost 2500 as it was the failed module and a new module, so this year he has just began the first year of his new degree, in september student finance agreed to pay the 9000 tuition fees and maintence loan and grant, now nearly two months into the degree they have sent a letter refusing to pay tuition fees! can they do this? my son would never have been able to start this year had we known, there is no way i have 9000.surely this is wrong, i knew i would have to fund the finale year but would have been in a better position then, please help with any advice, regards
    I would appeal.

You can also ask on the sfe section of the forums.

What you should have done is fund the second year retakes yourself and that would have preserved full funding for the degree.

As Kilx pointed out , where there is a shortfall in avaliable funding years, then they target the first year onwards. That is my understanding. That is where the funding for the resit year went.

Any appeal would be on the basis of them agreeing to fund you and you relying on that to incur the obligation. It wouldnt surpise me if SFE have clauses which allow them to refuse funding where it is given in error (I think the decision was an error and they didntr ealise theyd funded the resit year)?

PQ will know or the SFE reps as to whether there is any right to appeal.

Its not an uncommon post for people on foundation courses to fall foul of this.
    Degree courses with a foundation year included are a safer choice or access courses are another alternative.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Was this a freestanding foundation year or part of a degree?

If his current course is returned to SLC as the length of a degree + foundation then his resit year would count as his gift year. He should speak to his university finance/registry team to find out what they have told SLC about his current course.

The resit year was also sat part time not full time and so should be counted differently.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the foundation year was part of the degree as when he started it said engineering with foundation year, but then the uni changed the name of the degree last year,all sounds complicated I know, had I know all this I could have maybe had a small loan to pay for the resit year he did, I am going to make notes ready for tomorrow when I ring sf , I am so grateful for your help , thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I would appeal.

You can also ask on the sfe section of the forums.

What you should have done is fund the second year retakes yourself and that would have preserved full funding for the degree.

As Kilx pointed out , where there is a shortfall in avaliable funding years, then they target the first year onwards. That is my understanding. That is where the funding for the resit year went.

Any appeal would be on the basis of them agreeing to fund you and you relying on that to incur the obligation. It wouldnt surpise me if SFE have clauses which allow them to refuse funding where it is given in error (I think the decision was an error and they didntr ealise theyd funded the resit year)?

PQ will know or the SFE reps as to whether there is any right to appeal.

Its not an uncommon post for people on foundation courses to fall foul of this.
    Degree courses with a foundation year included are a safer choice or access courses are another alternative.
    Hi, thank you so much for replying , I am at work but later I will read your reply again ready for when i speak to them tomorrow , why does bad news arrive on a weekend! Regards Michelle
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    When you ring explain that the resit year was part time (and at around 1/4 intensity and so shouldn't have received a tuition loan for the £2,500).

Part time study does NOT count against his funding calculation.

Also you MUST speak to his university and find out whether his record is being sent to SLC as being on a 3 year or a 3+1 year course.- it's likely that the university have ****ed up his record and that is causing some of this mixup.

He is eligible for funding of length of his course (which should be 4 years if he's on a standard 3 year degree with foundation) + one gift year - and previous years.

It seems like his university has said he's in Yr 1 of a 3 year course and has 2 years of previous study....so the length of his course is WRONG on the UNIVERSITY system AND his repeat year has been incorrectly flagged as full time not part time. SFE aren't going to be able to fix this properly - it needs to be done by his university.

Once the record is fixed the SLC will reclaim the £2,500 fees it paid for the resit year from his university - and his university will then need to agree a repayment plan with your son directly for the resit fees....but the ENTIRETY of the rest of his degree (including any resits if he needs to resit full time) will be funded.

Alternatively if you just chase after his university to fix his length of course then his repeat year will be counted as his gift year and the rest of his course will still be funded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    When you ring explain that the resit year was part time (and at around 1/4 intensity and so shouldn't have received a tuition loan for the £2,500).

Part time study does NOT count against his funding calculation.

Also you MUST speak to his university and find out whether his record is being sent to SLC as being on a 3 year or a 3+1 year course.- it's likely that the university have ****ed up his record and that is causing some of this mixup.

He is eligible for funding of length of his course (which should be 4 years if he's on a standard 3 year degree with foundation) + one gift year - and previous years.

It seems like his university has said he's in Yr 1 of a 3 year course and has 2 years of previous study....so the length of his course is WRONG on the UNIVERSITY system AND his repeat year has been incorrectly flagged as full time not part time. SFE aren't going to be able to fix this properly - it needs to be done by his university.

Once the record is fixed the SLC will reclaim the £2,500 fees it paid for the resit year from his university - and his university will then need to agree a repayment plan with your son directly for the resit fees....but the ENTIRETY of the rest of his degree (including any resits if he needs to resit full time) will be funded.

Alternatively if you just chase after his university to fix his length of course then his repeat year will be counted as his gift year and the rest of his course will still be funded.
    Hi, I made notes of all you said and you were correct , also the name of my sons course had changed last year by the uni so that had complicated things more. It is all being updated , I spoke to the uni and student finance, I have to wait 28 days to see the update but will keel checking every few days ! I think I have probably lost a few years of my life with how worried I have been over the last few days, although I will feel better when I see it in black and white I feel I can sleep again tonight. I just want to say a massive THANKYOU! For taking the time to send me your great advice I feel it is thanks to you my son has been given this chance to complete his degree , thank goodness there are people like you in the world. Without you knowledge I wouldn't have had the knowledge to say what I did and I do feel the outcome would have been different, regards Michelle x

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.