Practicalities of a mental health nursing degree Watch

Nataliebennett
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I was just wondering if someone undertaking a degree in mental health nursing could tell me about how it pans out throughout the years. Is it similar to a midwifery degree in that it is continuous and doesn't work alongside a normal academic year? Are there many placements? How often are they? When at uni how many hours are you there?

I have a family and am really keen to progress down this route but I'm cautious about disturbing my family too much
Charlotte's Web
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nataliebennett)
Hi, I was just wondering if someone undertaking a degree in mental health nursing could tell me about how it pans out throughout the years. Is it similar to a midwifery degree in that it is continuous and doesn't work alongside a normal academic year? Are there many placements? How often are they? When at uni how many hours are you there?

I have a family and am really keen to progress down this route but I'm cautious about disturbing my family too much
Yes, that's right. Normally you will get around 7/8 weeks of holiday time per year, plus some study time off before exams and assignments.

Your time will be spent 50:50 in uni and on placement. You will do 2300 hours (minimum) of placement and 2300 of theory, although some of this is self-directed learning.

How universities organise the placements can vary. Some will have a 'base' placement which you keep returning to. Others will have different placements each time. You can expect to have a few adult branch placements too. Bear in mind that the course structure often changes each year so information given by current students at a particular uni may not apply to you when you start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (239)
27.28%
No (637)
72.72%

Watched Threads