Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i started taking further maths gcse and its so blimey hard cos the stupid teacher is assuming we're geniuses that we already know the topics that we have never covered.

secondly because im taking physics for a-level people are saying i should choose maths but i dont want to. i know physics has lots of maths but i like the subject.

i dont know what to do?

ReputationRep:
    For further maths GCSE, have you tried talking to the tecaher about it. If all else fails, practise.
    A Level maths helps a ton with physics; there is a lot of maths in physics, and the maths course covers a lot of the important concepts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TugbaAiden)
    i started taking further maths gcse and its so blimey hard cos the stupid teacher is assuming we're geniuses that we already know the topics that we have never covered.

secondly because im taking physics for a-level people are saying i should choose maths but i dont want to. i know physics has lots of maths but i like the subject.

i dont know what to do?
    What do you hope to do after A levels?
    If it's anything physics related then you will regret not doing A level maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    What do you hope to do after A levels?
    If it's anything physics related then you will regret not doing A level maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope for a career in astrophysics or engineering, I want to in the future apply to the European space agency (then again brexit).

Being a cosmonaut has always been a dream of mine, as well as the Mars mission. Space exploring in itself I have been interested in since I was a kid.

I know maths is really important but I Feel stupid as if I can't grasp the subject, even though I went to one lesson. The teacher is extremely socially awkward , just puts up a question that I've never seen in my life and then puts up the answer 5 mins later. if I can't grasp gcse maths how am I going to grasp a level maths.

Not only that I'm stuck between biology and geography because I want to apply Oxbridge or a Russell group because they're great in research especially for sciences (for instance imperial college London) however I want to keep as many doors open as possible.

I know regardless of your future career physics and maths is highly regarded no matter what you applied for but what If fail it or lose interest in the future. I know you can't like everything about a subject or a career there are going to be something you are not going to like but this makes me feel insufficient. Not only that revision sources for further maths is limited.

Also eng lang because journalism was one of my options however that requires an apprenticeship for example like at BBC but I want to go to uni.

So.....

I'm so stressed and frustrated because of a-leave options I have to give in by 9th December I'm falling back on my revision timetable and my thick blank lined paper book I got isn't as full as it is. I've only done a few pages throughout a whole week because I'm stressing so much.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

(Sorry for exclaiming all my life story but I'm stressed as ****)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TugbaAiden)
    I hope for a career in astrophysics or engineering
    Then choose maths. You need no more than a good normal GCSE (ideally an 8 or maybe a 7) maths grade to be sure you are capable of a good A level grade if you put in the effort. Your early struggles with further maths GCSE should not put you off.

You should be able to adjust your choices before you start A levels as long as you meet the entry criteria and there is space in your chosen classes. Make some choices and get on with more important stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did further maths at gcse and I can remember thinking I have no clue what is going on, and now I'm in my second year of maths and further maths at a level. At a level I assume you won't have the same teacher and if you are thinking of going to your schools sixth form (if it has one), maybe look at somewhere else. A lot of engineering and astrophysics uni courses require maths at an A level so it is really a must if that is what you're thinking of going into!
    I wouldn't stress as if sure that if you decide later that you have made the wrong decision they will let you change!

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest taking A Level Maths as an option since physics and maths interlink very well. Also, universities usually require the student to have studied maths at A Level to show that they have clear understandings of maths concepts (which come up in engineering-based courses anyway). A lot of my friends found Additional Maths (equivalent to Further Maths at GCSE - not sure?) difficult at GCSE but found A Level Maths much more easier as there are a lot of resources online and you are basically taught from the beginning. The best way to understand maths is to practise past paper questions and if you do not understand how to reach an answer, you could ask a friend, another maths teacher or even people on TSR!

As for choosing biology or geography, that would have to be a personal preference although (correct me if I'm wrong), biology may be the better option if you are keen on taking a STEM-based course at uni (labs etc.) However, it won't have that much of an impact I don't think if you want a physics-related course. I would write a list of the pros and cons of taking each subject (e.g. coursework, how much you like it, better for uni or not?) and weigh it out that way. Maybe go through a few websites of universities you may consider
    applying for and see what they say on entry requirements etc.

The due date may be 9th Dec. but I'm sure your school will make an exception if you wanted to change to another subject after that date or even when you start your A Levels. Good luck and stay positive!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.