Laundry dilemma - tumble dry or not?

Watch
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all, I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, so I apologise if it's in the wrong place.

I'm living in halls at the moment, and our accommodation handbook states not to dry clothes in our rooms to prevent mould growth. However, nearly all of my clothes are labelled do not tumble dry. So far I've been drying my clothes in my room with the window open (even though I shouldn't), because I'm worried that if I tumble dry my clothes, they'll shrink or something.

It's getting too cold now to keep my window open though, so I'm wondering whether it might actually be better to just tumble dry my clothes. Is it likely that they'll shrink, or will they probably be fine? Sorry if this is a silly question

Thanks!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Hi all, I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, so I apologise if it's in the wrong place.

I'm living in halls at the moment, and our accommodation handbook states not to dry clothes in our rooms to prevent mould growth. However, nearly all of my clothes are labelled do not tumble dry. So far I've been drying my clothes in my room with the window open (even though I shouldn't), because I'm worried that if I tumble dry my clothes, they'll shrink or something.

It's getting too cold now to keep my window open though, so I'm wondering whether it might actually be better to just tumble dry my clothes. Is it likely that they'll shrink, or will they probably be fine? Sorry if this is a silly question

Thanks!
Put the tumble dryer on the lowest temperature and keep an eye on it,unless its stuff that's made out of silk or satin as long as your careful it ll be fine.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Or if you can put clothes on a radiator, turn up the heating just for a few hours
username2088165
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Put the tumble dryer on the lowest temperature and keep an eye on it,unless its stuff that's made out of silk or satin as long as your careful it ll be fine.
Thanks. The tumble dryers here have 4 settings: whites and colours, delicates, perm. press and no heat. I assume I'd use the whites and colours setting?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look in the labels to see if the clothes are suitable for dry cleaning. The symbol you're looking for is a circle in a box with one or two dots:

Name:  Tumble-Drying.jpg
Views: 2221
Size:  41.7 KB

If the symbol says 'do not tumble dry' then don't: it will ruin the clothes eventually, even though they'll look fine for the first little bit.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks. The tumble dryers here have 4 settings: whites and colours, delicates, perm. press and no heat. I assume I'd use the whites and colours setting?
Delicates will do less damage I d think.
username2088165
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Delicates will do less damage I d think.
Thank you, I'll try that and see what happens
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't tumble dry anything with a no tumble dry label in it, it's just not worth it

dry them in your room, if it's a few clothing items it's not going to be a huge problem, if you're concerened by a cheap dehumidifier for £10
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tumble drying wool will shrink it.
username2088165
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Look in the labels to see if the clothes are suitable for dry cleaning. The symbol you're looking for is a circle in a box with one or two dots:

Name:  Tumble-Drying.jpg
Views: 2221
Size:  41.7 KB

If the symbol says 'do not tumble dry' then don't: it will ruin the clothes eventually, even though they'll look fine for the first little bit.
I know about washing and drying symbols, the majority of my clothes are do not tumble dry. However, I don't want to just freeze in my room with the window open while I air dry my clothes either, which I'm not meant to be doing anyway. I'm going to try the delicates dryer cycle which has very low heat and hope for the best
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know about washing and drying symbols, the majority of my clothes are do not tumble dry. However, I don't want to just freeze in my room with the window open while I air dry my clothes either, which I'm not meant to be doing anyway. I'm going to try the delicates dryer cycle which has very low heat and hope for the best
You could always try a heated airer for those really delicate things you really shouldn't tumble dry.
username2088165
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
You could always try a heated airer for those really delicate things you really shouldn't tumble dry.
We aren't allowed electric heaters in our rooms, so I'm not sure whether I'd be allowed a heated airer. I may have to make do with the radiator instead
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (37)
21.76%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (83)
48.82%
I'm unsure (50)
29.41%

Watched Threads