Turn on thread page Beta

Me and my best guy friend have known each other for 4 years. We're both 18 and we met in secondary school, but then went to different sixth forms, so we don't see each other everyday anymore. We were so close until he got a girlfriend. On my birthday! I had always had a crush on him, but I never told him, so this really upset me. I cried for so many nights. I just thought that this was actually going to go somewhere because he was so kind and respectful to me, and we had so much in common. I genuinely thought something was going to happen.

Understandably, he's spent more time with her and posts pictures of them together on social media, which makes me feel even worse. So for a month, I've been trying to avoid contact with him, because it hurts talking to him, knowing that he now has a girlfriend. He's messaged me a few times, but I just don't know how to respond, because I don't know what I can and can't say since he has a girlfriend. It's just awkward. I just really miss the old days and how close we were.

He asks how I've been lately, since I don't talk to him much anymore, but I just lie and say that I'm busy. But now I feel like I need some closure, like I should just tell him the reason why I've been distant. Do you think that's the right thing to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Me and my best guy friend have known each other for 4 years. We're both 18 and we met in secondary school, but then went to different sixth forms, so we don't see each other everyday anymore. We were so close until he got a girlfriend. On my birthday! I had always had a crush on him, but I never told him, so this really upset me. I cried for so many nights. I just thought that this was actually going to go somewhere because he was so kind and respectful to me, and we had so much in common. I genuinely thought something was going to happen.

Understandably, he's spent more time with her and posts pictures of them together on social media, which makes me feel even worse. So for a month, I've been trying to avoid contact with him, because it hurts talking to him, knowing that he now has a girlfriend. He's messaged me a few times, but I just don't know how to respond, because I don't know what I can and can't say since he has a girlfriend. It's just awkward. I just really miss the old days and how close we were.

He asks how I've been lately, since I don't talk to him much anymore, but I just lie and say that I'm busy. But now I feel like I need some closure, like I should just tell him the reason why I've been distant. Do you think that's the right thing to do?
    Its tricky because if you reveal your feelings then he might feel awkward and don't know how to respond back as he now has a girlfriend and this could make things even more awkward between you both. If you cant see yourself being friends anymore and need to move on then tell him but say you know he is in a relationship but you just wanted him to know. Just be careful as this could make things awkward between you both and make you even more distant if he dosent respond the way you want him to.

ReputationRep:
    I think the best option would be to tell him all of that and hope he understands. If he's the type of guy who will understand and won't make your continued friendship awkward. Then it'll be out of your system and things will become less awkward again
    Although, if he's the type of guy who won't know how to respond and it could possibly ruin what you had before he had a girlfriend, then maybe keep quiet for a while to see how things progress?

(Original post by chikane)
    Its tricky because if you reveal your feelings then he might feel awkward and don't know how to respond back as he now has a girlfriend and this could make things even more awkward between you both. If you cant see yourself being friends anymore and need to move on then tell him but say you know he is in a relationship but you just wanted him to know. Just be careful as this could make things awkward between you both and make you even more distant if he dosent respond the way you want him to.
    Thank you for your response I definitely wasn't planning on telling him that I had a crush I on him, but I may tell him about the other stuff

(Original post by MapleMaypole)
    I think the best option would be to tell him all of that and hope he understands. If he's the type of guy who will understand and won't make your continued friendship awkward. Then it'll be out of your system and things will become less awkward again
    Although, if he's the type of guy who won't know how to respond and it could possibly ruin what you had before he had a girlfriend, then maybe keep quiet for a while to see how things progress?
    Thanks for your help, I think I may tell him. He's always been understanding, I just really want to let this all out of my system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for your help, I think I may tell him. He's always been understanding, I just really want to let this all out of my system.
    Go for it. Best of luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.