The Student Room Group

4 subjects at AS

Is it still worth it to take 4 subjects (history, biology, chemistry and Math) at AS? I am certain I'll drop history at A-level. I'm just taking it at AS as I heard that if I get good grades at it. It'll add up to my UCAS points(?) but my year 13 friend said some uni don't really require this 4th subject. (I'm planning to take medicine in uni)
Original post by Angelaa
Is it still worth it to take 4 subjects (history, biology, chemistry and Math) at AS? I am certain I'll drop history at A-level. I'm just taking it at AS as I heard that if I get good grades at it. It'll add up to my UCAS points(?) but my year 13 friend said some uni don't really require this 4th subject. (I'm planning to take medicine in uni)

UCAS points are pointless for medicine, and a fourth AS is not required for literally every medical school - a lot don't even consider AS grades much, or at all.
Original post by Angelaa

Most candidates from the top universities average at a high number of UCAS points so that's one reason for taking a fourth.

Another reason is that it will help you get used to A-levels and also subjects like History will get you better at writing and help you think critically. It's good to take it, because after you drop it at A2, you'll probably notice there's no difference in workload because A2 just gets harder and then there's UCAS applications and your personal statement to deal with. Essentially, it's just added preparation and you should be able to get 4 A's in them. It will force you to be more organised.

But no, I don't think it's necessary, but even though it will mean more workload as opposed to only taking 3 AS levels, I would still highly recommend taking 4. If anything, drop general studies lol.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
UCAS points are pointless for medicine, and a fourth AS is not required for literally every medical school - a lot don't even consider AS grades much, or at all.

Bart's place a 50% weighting on UCAS Tariff pre-interview.
Original post by Angelaa

History, at least for my exam board is linear. You won't get an AS grade for a linear course, so there's really no point taking it. No unis require 4, and history is a lot of work. You might as well start with 3 and focus on them.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Bart's place a 50% weighting on UCAS Tariff pre-interview.

They have a lot of faith in predicted grades
Original post by Angelaa

No. I did the exact same subjects as you last year, and I found with history, the workload was almost unmanageable at times - history is one of the hardest A-level subjects out there and I found myself having to spend more time and effort on history and couldn't focus as much on the sciences - history is a huge jump from GCSE and literally no uni cares besides Barts.

But at the end of the day, if you want to do it, do it and you can always drop history during the year if it's too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
They have a lot of faith in predicted grades

Even if you have 3A* predictions it isn't enough, you need extra qualifications ( more a-levels/epq/music qualifications ect) to be competitive. Unless of course you have a ridiculously high UKCAT
Original post by HopelessMedic
Even if you have 3A* predictions it isn't enough, you need extra qualifications ( more a-levels/epq/music qualifications ect) to be competitive. Unless of course you have a ridiculously high UKCAT

I'm not a very big fan of that methodology. Seems like an ideal university for over-predicted students. I'm sure you're aware that there are schools that automatically predict one grade up for every student, leading to exaggerated potential.

As they say, quality over quantity.
I'm not a very big fan of that methodology. Seems like an ideal university for over-predicted students. I'm sure you're aware that there are schools that automatically predict one grade up for every student, leading to exaggerated potential.

As they say, quality over quantity.

Although i applied there, i do agree. Selecting students based on who has the higher predictions isn't justifiable, seeing as many schools just over predict. Also if you pick up an easy subject like General studies/Critical thinking and get an A* prediction you're in a better position than another candidate, when those subjects require no effort at all.
Original post by Kiritsugu
Most candidates from the top universities average at a high number of UCAS points so that's one reason for taking a fourth.

Another reason is that it will help you get used to A-levels and also subjects like History will get you better at writing and help you think critically. It's good to take it, because after you drop it at A2, you'll probably notice there's no difference in workload because A2 just gets harder and then there's UCAS applications and your personal statement to deal with. Essentially, it's just added preparation and you should be able to get 4 A's in them. It will force you to be more organised.

But no, I don't think it's necessary, but even though it will mean more workload as opposed to only taking 3 AS levels, I would still highly recommend taking 4. If anything, drop general studies lol.

I agree
Reply 11
That was very helpful and convincing. Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Kiritsugu

Quick Reply

Latest