Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Get your UoL (LSE) degree for free and your beer at 40p a can ;)

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I used to be quite active at this forum while I was trying to get a place at a British university (Oxford, King's, Edinburgh). That didn't work out as planned - decided not to leave my country for family reasons and declined an additional interview while in Oxford (probably wouldn't have got in even if I hadn't done that, lol, no hard feelings). My journey had me end up at a place where I'm studying for an LSE degree through the University of London International Programme.

My post here serves to let you guys know of a way to get into that program on the cheap/for free.

I'm currently studying for my UoL degree at a Polish academy of business & economics that offers 6 LSE courses:
    Economics
    Economics & Management
    Economics & Finance
    Business & Management
    Accounting & Finance
    Banking & Finance

The deal for the students of my university is such that:

In theory, it costs you 5000 EUR/year to be registered with LSE (+ take your official end year exams at British Council, they're later sent to London and evaluated by LSE profs) and physically have regular classes, mock exams, access to the uni library etc. etc. at my uni.

In practice, my university is currently striving to become an officially recognized centre for UoL Interntional Programmes. That means they're investing in this programme, not making money off it. Their goal is to have as many good students as possible a) register with UoL through the university; b) pass the exams at good grades; c) and thus prove to UoL that my university is worthy of being a recognized centre and get some advantages that go with it - probably also finally start making money off the programme.

SO - this year the situation was such that you could take a scholarship exam (basics of econ, math, stat) and either drop the price to 2500 euros/year (you pay your LSE fees but get classes and all the perks that come with physical contact with lecturer for free) or get the whole package for free - my uni actually pays your LSE fees, too. I only managed to get the half-deal so far, but it's still a lot cheaper than 9000 quid/year.

That situation will probably go on for at least two or three years.

Add to that the cost of living comparison:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...n&city2=Warsaw

Personally, I rent a flat with my girlfriend, right next to the subway, 4 stations from the city centre and 6 stations from the uni, for about 340 pounds (170 each), everything included, and we both (food etc.) live off about 80-100 pounds a month. You can get a room for 100-200 quid a month (depending on standard & location).

And, as you can see, you can get an UoL degree for a much decreased price, while living in a much cheaper country and ticking off your abroad life experience, too. Of course, it's not the same as studying in London. Were I in a different life situation and had I a lot more money - I'd much prefer to study in London. However, I'm sure there's a lot of people who can't afford a full-time LSE degree, and people who are not disciplined enough to go through the UoL International Programme on their own. So I thought I'd share what I'm going through!

I don't want this to be a blatant advertisement or something like that (although it's more like an exploit trick lol), but if someone wants more information, I'll gladly share via PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDv-2EGW8a4 And a bit about the city itself...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.