Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

conversion vs post graduate course

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I do have a masters degree in Psychology from an EU country, and now I live in the UK.

Which one is 'better': conversion course or post graduate course? Both can last for one year, I just don't see the difference.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markolini)
    Hi,

I do have a masters degree in Psychology from an EU country, and now I live in the UK.

Which one is 'better': conversion course or post graduate course? Both can last for one year, I just don't see the difference.

Thank you!
    A conversion course is for those who want to get a BPS accredited psychology degree. A postgraduate course is something involving either advanced teaching or research in a specific area of psychology, and typically you will end up studying/researching a smaller aspect of psychology in much more detail. They both serve very different purposes, so i am a little confused as why you would ask which is better, as typically people don't consider between doing one and the other?

If you don't have a BPS accredited psychology degree (i'm not sure how international degrees are treated... ), and want to become a professional psychologist in the UK, then doing a conversion course would be beneficial. If you want to go into research, a conversion course isn't that helpful, and its probably better just to do a research masters even if you haven't got a psychology degree.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your response!

The reason why I asked is because BPS couldn't provide me any information regarding my options.
    On the BPS website the only information I could find was that people can either get a masters degree in accredited university or attend the conversion.

But there is no information which option is suitable for someone from the EU who already has a masters degree. So I don't know whether it is depended on the ECTS points or maybe something else, and BPS was not helpful when I asked them by email or telephone.

I would like to know what are my options now to become a clinical psychologist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markolini)
    Thank you so much for your response!

The reason why I asked is because BPS couldn't provide me any information regarding my options.
    On the BPS website the only information I could find was that people can either get a masters degree in accredited university or attend the conversion.

But there is no information which option is suitable for someone from the EU who already has a masters degree. So I don't know whether it is depended on the ECTS points or maybe something else, and BPS was not helpful when I asked them by email or telephone.

I would like to know what are my options now to become a clinical psychologist.
    You will need to check if your undergraduate degree is accredited by the BPS. I think they have started accrediting international courses, but if not, you just submit the details of your course and they will assess the content.

You won't be able to qualify as any kind of Psychologist without BPS accreditation. If the BPS don't accredit your undergraduate degree then you will have to do the conversion course.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.