Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:

Hello Everyone!!

I am a gap year student that is re-sitting some exams and reapplying to university since last year I didn't get into my firm or insurance as I ended up with extremely disappointing grades, this is take 2 and I will not give up!

I am hoping this blog post will motivate me as this is going to be a long a perhaps lonely gap year since all my friends are off at uni.

I am self teaching everything at home as I have most of the resources and because my college do not take back old students who have already completed their Alevels so I will be doing work experience as well as getting a job and I may include that too.

GCSE:
    1A 1 Distinction 9Bs

AS:
    B (Maths)
    B (Chemistry)
    B (Business studies)
    D (Physics)
    Spoiler:
    Show

I hate you physics

A2:
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Business Studies

UCAS:
    Birmingham - Chemistry Foundation year
    Nottingham - Engineering and physical sciences foundation year
    Newcastle - Chemistry : OFFER ABB
    Loughborough - Chemistry : OFFER ABB
    Loughborough - Chemical engineering

Overall: I am aiming for A*AB which after last years results (which i don’t want to say yet) this seems way out of my reach but with handwork anything is possible.

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  13.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    I can't begin to image how disappointing that must have felt and I don't mean to be rude, if I have made an assumption.

I think it's awesome how you're trying hard now and have some fight left in you, as well as juggling a part-time job and other extracurricular activities will really heighten your position and enhance your critical thinking and maturity.

On one hand I would say to not think too hard about what's happened in the past because now is now, and then was then. On the other hand, it's important to know exactly where you went wrong, which provides a foundation for how to lay the bricks.

I got a disappointing results in AS so I kind of understand how you're feeling - but that will to fight back is what amazes me.

For maths, there are so many different and useful resources - the trick I think is to get everything ingrained into your mind, your body, your soul. Work on maths (and all the subjects) daily, continuously monitoring your progress, using effective study habits and really learning is what I think is necessary. So the textbooks, examsolutions, other websites, potentially school resources if you have access.

For business studies, that's hard - I know from GCSE experience but there are also many resources to utilise and pool together to expand your knowledge and understanding. Perhaps even get involved in a little business such as in your part-time job, making an effort to understand where that shop or place or thing is in the market, how it started, how it is currently operating, the different departments and how they liaise with each other - all that will really provide some motivation and an edge to your learning. There are also many free MOOCS courses online to have a look at.

For chemistry, there are many resources available including youtube videos, the textbooks, the revision guides, powerpoints, worksheets, for you to use.

Most importantly, there are Past papers for you to practice in exam conditions, mark them, see where you got wrong, analyse the mark schemes, examine the examiner reports, and tick your progress in the syllabus.

There are many organisational apps like Evernote which might really come in handy.

Everyone's got a unique style of learning and it's up to you to find out how.

I've attached a little study quite thing here too if that's any use.

Also, don't give up on your friends and family who can actually help you study, e.g. flash cards or test questions.

Don't forget Extracurricular activities can help make you a better person, with the added benefit of looking better on your CV helping to secure a part-time job.

Above all, do not lose that motivation you have so don't forget to take breaks and have fun too!

Need any help ask anyone
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Final Study Plan - Copy.docx (20.7 KB, 22 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hey I wish you all the best and like you I know that I can do better than the predictions I got, so I'm also thinking about taking a gap year... Not sure yet

I'm also doing a thread: " My journey for PPE" - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4400420

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiritsugu)
    I can't begin to image how disappointing that must have felt and I don't mean to be rude, if I have made an assumption.

I think it's awesome how you're trying hard now and have some fight left in you, as well as juggling a part-time job and other extracurricular activities will really heighten your position and enhance your critical thinking and maturity.

On one hand I would say to not think too hard about what's happened in the past because now is now, and then was then. On the other hand, it's important to know exactly where you went wrong, which provides a foundation for how to lay the bricks.

I got a disappointing results in AS so I kind of understand how you're feeling - but that will to fight back is what amazes me.

For maths, there are so many different and useful resources - the trick I think is to get everything ingrained into your mind, your body, your soul. Work on maths (and all the subjects) daily, continuously monitoring your progress, using effective study habits and really learning is what I think is necessary. So the textbooks, examsolutions, other websites, potentially school resources if you have access.

For business studies, that's hard - I know from GCSE experience but there are also many resources to utilise and pool together to expand your knowledge and understanding. Perhaps even get involved in a little business such as in your part-time job, making an effort to understand where that shop or place or thing is in the market, how it started, how it is currently operating, the different departments and how they liaise with each other - all that will really provide some motivation and an edge to your learning. There are also many free MOOCS courses online to have a look at.

For chemistry, there are many resources available including youtube videos, the textbooks, the revision guides, powerpoints, worksheets, for you to use.

Most importantly, there are Past papers for you to practice in exam conditions, mark them, see where you got wrong, analyse the mark schemes, examine the examiner reports, and tick your progress in the syllabus.

There are many organisational apps like Evernote which might really come in handy.

Everyone's got a unique style of learning and it's up to you to find out how.

I've attached a little study quite thing here too if that's any use.

Also, don't give up on your friends and family who can actually help you study, e.g. flash cards or test questions.

Don't forget Extracurricular activities can help make you a better person, with the added benefit of looking better on your CV helping to secure a part-time job.

Above all, do not lose that motivation you have so don't forget to take breaks and have fun too!

Need any help ask anyone
    I was incredibly disappointed and it was hard to try and be happy for everyone else when I felt like it was the end of the world

Thank you so so much for your advice!!

I refuse to give up now I am determined to get the grades I want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophwintsxoxo)
    Hey I wish you all the best and like you I know that I can do better than the predictions I got, so I'm also thinking about taking a gap year... Not sure yet

I'm also doing a thread: " My journey for PPE" - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4400420
    Good luck to you!! Hopefully we will end up with great results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roshany)
    I was incredibly disappointed and it was hard to try and be happy for everyone else when I felt like it was the end of the world

Thank you so so much for your advice!!

I refuse to give up now I am determined to get the grades I want
    You're very welcome Roshany. Hah, now I am holding you accountable!

I'm trying to get triple A*s it's gonna be so hard after getting BBC at AS - but let's both do our best!!

:angelwings:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiritsugu)
    You're very welcome Roshany. Hah, now I am holding you accountable!

I'm trying to get triple A*s it's gonna be so hard after getting BBC at AS - but let's both do our best!!

:angelwings:
    Anything is possible!! Good luck

ReputationRep:

For each of my maths exams C3, C4, S1. There are a set of power points that i will make notes on and then do past paper questions.

For chemistry I will be taking my notes and reducing them to A4 (Poly pockets are the original notes that I reduced) then A5 and then a flashcard and get my mum to test me on them to make sure I have memorised them all especially transition metals. I will also be doing extra practise maths questions and past papers for Chem4 and Chem5 as I luckily got an A in the EMPA.

Business will be a bit more difficult as the case study changes every year and I have to analyse it myself this year as I have no teachers and there is no APT so if anyone knows any other resource for OCR F297 I will be eternally grateful.

In September to help strengthen my UCAS I did a placement at an engineering firm. They said I could come back around Christmas time so I may go back to get more experience. I also managed to get a job at John Lewis although it is temporary I am going to hope they keep me on.

Name:  2550338995408120161114_163522.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  179.3 KB

Attached Images

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.