Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There may have been a thread on this before, but what are peoples thoughts on paying board (or whatever you want to call it) to their parents?
    If you are living at home- should you pay it (as long as it is a reasonable amount), or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    There may have been a thread on this before, but what are peoples thoughts on paying board (or whatever you want to call it) to their parents?
    If you are living at home- should you pay it (as long as it is a reasonable amount), or not?
    Of course I think you should contribute. You're at an age where you're earning money and can help your parents, who, have looked after you a lot and are letting you stay - it's a lot harder moving out.

Maybe think about somewhere from 25%-40% going towards costs like bills and stuff. It's also a good chance for you to budget properly.

That's just my opinion, not knowing much about paying boards.

ReputationRep:
    I think that once you are an adult, your parents don't owe you anything. You shouldn't feel entitled.

If your parents are generous enough to gift you a room to live in rent free, lucky you. There is nothing wrong with accepting it.

If they charge you to live with them, you have a choice to make. Either live with them on their terms or find somewhere else to live.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on the age and position someone is in. This is a student forum after all, I wouldn't expect anone still in school to be paying rent. College would be the earliest I'd expect rent from someone.

I think it's not unreasonable if you're not studying. If you have a full time job then paying rent is expected. If you're studying it's a little more dependent on the situation. For example if someone is working to fund their studies and not getting any parental support I wouldn't expect them to pay rent. I used to earn £300 a month, before spending on things like my phone contract, parking and petrol for work, anything I needed for college and so on. I wasn't expected to pay rent then. If I had there would have been little point owning a car and working at all. Likewise when I was saving for uni I wasn't expected to pay extortionate amonts of rent. I was told to put the money towards uni instead which is perfectly reasonable.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kiritsugu)
    Of course I think you should contribute. You're at an age where you're earning money and can help your parents, who, have looked after you a lot and are letting you stay - it's a lot harder moving out.

Maybe think about somewhere from 25%-40% going towards costs like bills and stuff. It's also a good chance for you to budget properly.

That's just my opinion, not knowing much about paying boards.
    I agree.
    Once you are working, earning your own money you should contribute. How much you should contribute depends on the situation/how much you are earning. You are at an age where you should contribute. Its usually a lot cheaper and easier living at home than moving out.
    If you are still studying, then it depends on the situation. I worked part time all through 6th form and college (i didnt go to uni), and did more hours in the holidays etc. I paid £10 a week. But everyone/their circumstances are different and not every student is in a position to pay any board.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.
    Once you are working, earning your own money you should contribute. How much you should contribute depends on the situation/how much you are earning. You are at an age where you should contribute. Its usually a lot cheaper and easier living at home than moving out.
    If you are still studying, then it depends on the situation. I worked part time all through 6th form and college (i didnt go to uni), and did more hours in the holidays etc. I paid £10 a week. But everyone/their circumstances are different and not every student is in a position to pay any board.
    Yeah I agree too with what you said and also what someone else said about situations being different, for example, if you're funding your studies or something

ReputationRep:
    when I was I did pay a decent amount (£500 a month) and yes I'd say the same thing to anyone that it's a good thing (i didn't mention that I was taking home £10k a month before i moved into my own place)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because it does ease you into the unfortunate concept that housing costs are not 'free' - it's a stepping stone between being a child and not having any financial concerns and being an adult and having to pay a mortgage, council tax, bills etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    when I was I did pay a decent amount (£500 a month) and yes I'd say the same thing to anyone that it's a good thing (i didn't mention that I was taking home £10k a month before i moved into my own place)
    I do enjoy reading about your fantasy life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fortunate I'm working now and living at home rent free- my parents would rather I put my wages towards an eventual housing deposit as its realistically the only way I'll be able to afford to buy somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I paid £40 per week at my parents when i was working basically full time. That's about £300 less for rent, bills and food than i pay now each month.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.