Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading the new college allocation process and it appears to say that if you're not lucky enough to be allocated your first choice it is then completely random - so you could apply for a small, fully catered traditional Bailey college close to your lectures and get a large, self catered non-traditional Hill college with a long walk? This seems senseless so am I reading it wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HY1001)
    I've been reading the new college allocation process and it appears to say that if you're not lucky enough to be allocated your first choice it is then completely random - so you could apply for a small, fully catered traditional Bailey college close to your lectures and get a large, self catered non-traditional Hill college with a long walk? This seems senseless so am I reading it wrong?
    No you are not reading it wrong, and many people will agree it is senseless. The previous system, though was basically the better colleges (Castle, Hatfield, Chad's, John's) got to pick the best applicants (which usually meant public school educated, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamdunce)
    No you are not reading it wrong, and many people will agree it is senseless. The previous system, though was basically the better colleges (Castle, Hatfield, Chad's, John's) got to pick the best applicants (which usually meant public school educated, etc).
    Out of curiosity, what make Castle, Hatfield, Chad's and John's 'better'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentin11)
    Out of curiosity, what make Castle, Hatfield, Chad's and John's 'better'?
    Better funding opportunities (grants to go travelling, etc), more graduates in the City and other professions, convenient location, perception of being more "elite".

ReputationRep:
    Better funding opportunities (grants to go travelling, etc), more graduates in the City and other professions, convenient location, perception of being more "elite".
    So, is/was it corrupt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    So, is/was it corrupt?
    No...
    Absolutely confused as to how a college could even be corrupt.

ReputationRep:
    No...
    Absolutely confused as to how a college could even be corrupt.
    Do you mean "how?" or "why?".

"How?" is fairly straightforward and "Why?" is funding. The universities/colleges have been squeezed for cash for many years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    Do you mean "how?" or "why?".

"How?" is fairly straightforward and "Why?" is funding. The universities/colleges have been squeezed for cash for many years.
    Well as far as I know Castle isn't bribing the vice-chancellor or anything. Corruption is a very serious offence and I am shocked you make such a baseless statement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.