Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have got KCL halls, quite annoyed as I was hoping for GDSA or SSA. Anyone know anything about KCL Halls? I'm doing maths in the Strand Campus, and it is a very long distance away. If I want to change it what do I do? Who else has got KCL Halls, what is the main campus ppl are from who stay at kcl halls?

ReputationRep:
    KCH halls...and there's not much you can do except reject and reballot-and even then you can't guarantee you'd get what you want. You live in London so you weren't given priority i guess

KCH is sposed to be the most social of halls...and evry 1 who stays there loves it in the end...its only for a year.

ReputationRep:
    I guess i'll have to deal with it I am just annoyed about the travelling time. Seems pointless staying at halls if its actually about the same distance from the campus as my house. And how many people do I have to share a bathroom with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark and Lovely)
    KCH halls...and there's not much you can do except reject and reballot-and even then you can't guarantee you'd get what you want. You live in London so you weren't given priority i guess

KCH is sposed to be the most social of halls...and evry 1 who stays there loves it in the end...its only for a year.
    Lol I know you're trying to help, and you have been very friendly and helpful, but i'm guessing all the people who are like "KCH and Hampstead are great" and "stop whining" have been given a place in either GDSA or SSA.

I know it will be more social, with the bar and stuff, but I really really wanted ensuite and self catered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_f_x)
    Lol I know you're trying to help, and you have been very friendly and helpful, but i'm guessing all the people who are like "KCH and Hampstead are great" and "stop whining" have been given a place in either GDSA or SSA.

I know it will be more social, with the bar and stuff, but I really really wanted ensuite and self catered

Umm i didn't really say Hampstead was great......lol!

ReputationRep:
    Lol i didn't mean you in particular. Ignore me today, i'm just all bitter lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_f_x)

Do a search.

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130948
    http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49427
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=127011

KCH is a lot of fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark and Lovely)
    Im an overseas student and i wasn given priority too! =(
    i got KCH and my campus is at Guy's
    I really don't know if i should
    A) accept the offer, stay in a place where it's catered and non ensuite and non walking distance from my campus ($$$$!!!!!) when what i wanted was the opposite of those
    B) reject and reballot at the risk of arriving in London for orientation without an accommodation
    C) shift out all together and look for a one bed-room apartment!
    HELP!!!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    do you have any idea how much a one bedroom apartment will cost in walking distance from Guy's? AT LEAST 200 pounds a week.

ReputationRep:
    what choice do i have? i do not even know how to get to my campus from KCH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liewling)
    Its easier (and cheaper) to get a map, than to find an apartment you know lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liewling)
    I'm sure loads of others will also be making the comute!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_f_x)
    Its easier (and cheaper) to get a map, than to find an apartment you know lol
    doesn make it easier when i am 4354657456345345345km away from london. lol

ReputationRep:
    ^ you're being overly dramatic! what's the internet for...you're not the only who isn't from London-how many ppl know their way to and from their accommodation to uni...they find out! take the initiative.

ReputationRep:
    The train from Denmark Hill to London Bridge is really good.

ReputationRep:
    Christ, it only takes 30-40 minutes by bus to get to King's (Strand), and about 20-25 to get to Guy's! Anyone who doesn't live in central London has a longish commute (which is, what, about 7 million people?), you think you're the only one? They all live with it. Commuting is one of the things you should have factored in before accepting your offer. You can't go to London as a student and expect to be plumped in SSA; commuting's inevitable at some point during your degree (unless you're super rich). London's not some massive campus, y'know. :rolleyes:

I was in KCH, just so you know, I found it great fun. You'll want either the 68 or 176 buses to get to the Strand, and the 35 and 40 to get to Guys.

ReputationRep:
    commuting is a part of life. London is a huge huge place, not some tiny city with a population of like 500,000 where you can get from one side to the other in twenty minutes.

probably 70% of people who work and live here have to travel for at least half an hour to get to work everyday. EVERYONE has to do it; this is why the city goes into meltdown whenever there's tube delays.

chances are you'll be living in zone 2 or 3 and travelling for up to an hour in your second year, you might as well get used to it

ReputationRep:
    I found a post I made a while back on KCH, watch my tour video too!

You might like to see this too www.eek2.com/files/kch_tour.avi

Just me messing about with my camera on one of the last days we were at KCH back in 2004... I think KCH has spare capacity most years, simply because people don't like the idea of travelling plus lots of people don't like having to share bathrooms etc. Perhaps one advantage other than the social side though is that you don't have to clean your room or bathroom (a cleaner will come to empty your bin, hoover etc each week)...

Generally if you turn up early on the move in day you can ask to get put in Plats (the nice building...).

I have lots of friends that have just stayed at KCH for 3 years rather than moving out to private accommodation! It's not for everyone, but if you are a social person, you will really enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any pictures of the rooms/idea about how big the rooms are?

ReputationRep:
    At the end of my video tour you'll see a room in Platanes (Plats).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.