Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Applying to study at Stanford/Haravard/Berkeley

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, you have all probably all seen this a lot but I am looking to study at some of the top American university's and was wondering if I would have any chance or even be looked at.
    I am currently in year 12 Predicted all A's in my subjects (As you cant get A*s at AS-Level)
    I got 8A*s and 5A's at GCSE
    I am involved in many extra curricular activity's such as Silver DofE, School Newspaper, Football, Fitness Club, Lower School Mentoring and I volunteer at a food bank every week.
    I haven't yet sat my ACT's and SAT's so what kind scores on them would make me competitive ?
    Also does anyone know any websites which are good for searching scholarships available to American universitys
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parsw001)
    Hey guys, you have all probably all seen this a lot but I am looking to study at some of the top American university's and was wondering if I would have any chance or even be looked at.
    I am currently in year 12 Predicted all A's in my subjects (As you cant get A*s at AS-Level)
    I got 8A*s and 5A's at GCSE
    I am involved in many extra curricular activity's such as Silver DofE, School Newspaper, Football, Fitness Club, Lower School Mentoring and I volunteer at a food bank every week.
    I haven't yet sat my ACT's and SAT's so what kind scores on them would make me competitive ?
    Also does anyone know any websites which are good for searching scholarships available to American universitys
    Thanks
    I would suggest looking at: http://www.fulbright.org.uk

And find out more about: http://us.suttontrust.com

And there's lots of other information on the Internet

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Fulbright is a good resource - you should use it. Shall you apply to British universities as well?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I will be applying to British ones aswell, most likely UCL, LSE and Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks
    What course would you be applying to do at the UK universities?

ReputationRep:
    Based on AS level enjoyment at the moment probably economics or a business related course, but one of the large appeals of American universities to me is the different structure of being able to take a minors in a variety of areas as well as then taking a major rather than spending 3 years on just one single course

ReputationRep:
    Based on AS level enjoyment at the moment probably economics or a business related course, but one of the large appeals of American universities to me is the different structure of being able to take a minors in a variety of areas as well as then taking a major rather than spending 3 years on just one single course

Yep that is a big appeal. Wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to study at some of the top American university's and was wondering if I would have any chance or even be looked at.
    Stanford and Harvard are noticeably more selective than Berkeley, and they're considered a step or two above in the overall undergraduate experience. (Virtually all Stanford-Berkeley cross-admits choose Stanford.) That said, admissions at Berkeley is no walk in the park even with the increasing intake of out-of-state and international students.

Your test scores can make or break you, so there's not much we can say without those.

Berkeley will provide little (if any) financial aid to an international student, so scratch it from your list if you can't afford the full cost of attendance. Harvard and Stanford will meet the full financial need of international students, but note that Stanford is NOT need-blind -- they will consider your ability to pay when reviewing your application. (Stanford really should be need-blind for all students, given how rich it is, but that's neither here nor there.)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.