Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Can I not include a particular subject and grade on a CV or Uni application?

ReputationRep:
    In my GCSE's I achieved predominately pretty good grades, As and Bs for the most part, with a singular A* and a couple of Cs, however, one subject and grade really stands out and is appalling; I got an E in Product Design. Obviously this makes a potential application or a CV look that much worse, so is there any way I can simply not include Product Design on my CV/Uni application? Can I just put down under where I say my GCSE's 9 subjects and grades rather than 10? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You can leave it out on a CV but not UCAS

ReputationRep:
    Is this grade on the same certificate as your others? Generally, they are. If so, then you can't leave it out, because if they ask to see certificates (and many places do) they will know you tried to hide it.

For UCAS, you must include all grades. But if this is irrelevant to the subject you're applying for, then most unis won't care.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that you can't leave it off your uni application. But you can leave it off your CV, the only grade I have specified on my CV is my degree.

You could say 9 GCSE's and completely omit it, or 10 and not include it. Either way there is a small chance that you will get asked about it. (for CV's and interviews that is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Is this grade on the same certificate as your others? Generally, they are. If so, then you can't leave it out, because if they ask to see certificates (and many places do) they will know you tried to hide it.

For UCAS, you must include all grades. But if this is irrelevant to the subject you're applying for, then most unis won't care.
    Unfortunately yes it is. It's on the same certificate as A*, A, A and a C. And will they care if they know I tried to hide it? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I'm pretty sure that you can't leave it off your uni application. But you can leave it off your CV, the only grade I have specified on my CV is my degree.

You could say 9 GCSE's and completely omit it, or 10 and not include it. Either way there is a small chance that you will get asked about it.
    If I omit it, and they found out, would they particularly care, do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    You can leave it out on a CV but not UCAS
    So there's no way I can hide it from my chosen Uni? Bearing in mind I would like to go to Camdrige if at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousEric)
    So there's no way I can hide it from my chosen Uni? Bearing in mind I would like to go to Camdrige if at all possible.
    You have to declare everything on UCAS. If they find out that you haven't declared it (and some universities will ask to see exam certificates), your application may become invalid, as universities can then claim that you may have lied about other things.

It's not the end of the world so don't worry about it. Cambridge don't look too closely at GCSEs, especially in non essential subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I omit it, and they found out, would they particularly care, do you know?
    I was talking about CV's and job interviews. For Ucas applications, its possible that some people will turn a blind eye but it has the potential to be a big problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchkin1212)
    You have to declare everything on UCAS. If they find out that you haven't declared it (and some universities will ask to see exam certificates), your application may become invalid, as universities can then claim that you may have lied about other things.

It's not the end of the world so don't worry about it. Cambridge don't look too closely at GCSEs, especially in non essential subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I was talking about CV's and job interviews. For Ucas applications, its possible that some people will turn a blind eye but it has the potential to be a big problem.
    Ok, I gather omitting it has the potential be a quite problematic, and so I suppose I'll have to include it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS will check all qualifications with the exam boards. So they will find out. It will also be obvious that you were trying to hide it as it is your worst grade; if it was just a random grade you may be able to argue that you forgot to include it.

It is up to the uni what action they take. They can withdraw any offer you have received, and if you have already started uni by the time they realise they can even kick you out. So it is something that has the potential to be serious. As Cambridge interview, they may decide to ask about it in your interview and see what your reaction is.

But if you do declare it, then it shows you are honest. It shows you're prepared to admit to past mistakes. These are good qualities! It's also unlikely to be directly relevant to the subject you're applying for, so says nothing about your academic ability in that area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    UCAS will check all qualifications with the exam boards. So they will find out. It will also be obvious that you were trying to hide it as it is your worst grade; if it was just a random grade you may be able to argue that you forgot to include it.

It is up to the uni what action they take. They can withdraw any offer you have received, and if you have already started uni by the time they realise they can even kick you out. So it is something that has the potential to be serious. As Cambridge interview, they may decide to ask about it in your interview and see what your reaction is.

But if you do declare it, then it shows you are honest. It shows you're prepared to admit to past mistakes. These are good qualities! It's also unlikely to be directly relevant to the subject you're applying for, so says nothing about your academic ability in that area.
    But won't they just think I'm an idiot, for getting a grade so abhorrent I can't put it into words? Or will they not care. I want to study Law there, and Product Design is entirely unrelated however.

ReputationRep:
    But won't they just think I'm an idiot, for getting a grade so abhorrent I can't put it into words? Or will they not care. I want to study Law there, and Product Design is entirely unrelated however.
    Well, it's better they think you're an honest idiot, rather than a lying idiot, surely? Since they will find out either way.

It's done now. You've got that grade. So you either apply to Cambridge and see what happens, or you don't apply to Cambridge. But you can't hide it, and you can't go back in time to make it never happen.

ReputationRep:
    You have to put it on UCAS, so whether Cambridge care or not is out of the question. You can definitely leave it off your CV - most people only put e.g. '10 GCSEs grades A*-C' on their CV, and perhaps specify english and maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, it's better they think you're an honest idiot, rather than a lying idiot, surely? Since they will find out either way.

It's done now. You've got that grade. So you either apply to Cambridge and see what happens, or you don't apply to Cambridge. But you can't hide it, and you can't go back in time to make it never happen.
    Very true. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    You have to put it on UCAS, so whether Cambridge care or not is out of the question. You can definitely leave it off your CV - most people only put e.g. '10 GCSEs grades A*-C' on their CV, and perhaps specify english and maths.
    Ok thanks.

Poll
How are you feeling about your exams so far?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.