Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

A level English Language advice

ReputationRep:
    Ive just started the new specification English language course (AQA), i am unsure on how you achieve top grades and so im wanting some advice on how to achieve the A/A* grade as i need a high grade to be able to further my studies at Uni. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    I achieved relatively highly in my one exam in English last year. All I suggest is do A LOT of private study at home. We had 71 poems to study and 2 hours a week. I studied well over half at home. Had I not I wouldn't have been prepared or able to achieve as well as I did. I made a lot of notes, wrote essays, revision pages, everything I could. I know this doesn't necessarily help much, but it's what I have gone by from the start of GCSE and I got 5 A's then so clearly I did something right. Most importantly, if you have any concerns, address them now with the teacher, that way you can sort them ASAP and get better grades in Mocks etc. That's what I did last week. I hope this helps, it might not be of any use at all though! Any other questions then please ask away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smithy99)
    Ive just started the new specification English language course (AQA), i am unsure on how you achieve top grades and so im wanting some advice on how to achieve the A/A* grade as i need a high grade to be able to further my studies at Uni. Cheers.
    Hi

I'm in the exact same situation as you right now, and I'm predicted an A for the same course as you! Firstly, use mark schemes and the SAMs commentary to their death because they're so useful! It gives you tips on how to achieve those top bands near enough

As was mentioned before, do a lot of work outside the lesson. Learn theories and terminology so that you have a wide range

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello my name is Moises i'm doing my Gcse's this year. What is the best way to revise the poems quotes, It is made flash cards and try to memorise them? Also what is the best way to revise English Literature and English Language?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosisgansta)
    Hello my name is Moises i'm doing my Gcse's this year. What is the best way to revise the poems quotes, It is made flash cards and try to memorise them? Also what is the best way to revise English Literature and English Language?

Thanks
    Hey! Key thing to remember is everyone finds that something works better for them than for others. I wrote extensive notes, put key info on revision cards (coloured--associate a certain section/character/theme with different colours). What I find this year is to either use A3 paper, put a topic/book or whatever in the centre and do a huge mind map of everything you can remember. Alternatively I use A4/5 plain papered hard back books to write down revision notes. And past papers, live by them! They Will be your best tool when paired with Mark schemes!! Good luck!!!

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.