The Student Room Group

My friend has just lost his mother to cancer

What should I do to help him? I've said I'd always be here for him if he needed me and I've offered to go around to help with the funeral planning and anything else he needs. Is there anything else I can do?
Reply 1
:hugs: I understand, my boyfriend lost his mum a year ago to cancer. Whilst you can offer to help out with things he will need time to adjust to a new life without her. Offer to cook and bring over meals to make sure he's eating properly. He'll open up eventually about it, but for now just remind him he has friends and family that are there for him.
All you can do is offer to be there emotionally, it seems like your practical offer for help is great too :smile: Theres only so much you can do I m afraid, losing a parent is something that takes time to deal with, just keep being there for them.
My mother lost one parent to cancer, she's now seeing the other one go the same way. She's given up her job and moved back to her country to care for her only parent until that time comes, and i don't know whether she'll be the same again when she's back.
My mum died of cancer when I was in my early 20s. Practical help is good - look at the website 'what to do when someone dies' - things like 'tell us once' stop mail to the deceased person.

There may well be legal things to do with the will amd dealing with her belongings so just be there.

Remind your friend that memories always keep our loved ones alive - dealing with a bereavement is not a quick process.
Original post by shawn_o1
My mother lost one parent to cancer, she's now seeing the other one go the same way. She's given up her job and moved back to her country to care for her only parent until that time comes, and i don't know whether she'll be the same again when she's back.

I'm sorry to hear that cancers done that to both of your grandparents. Maybe your mum might not be the same person ( i never have been after dad and my two grandparents), losing people does give you an apperication of what you do have so although there's dark times potentially ahead there will be light at the end of the tunnel for your mum, it could just take a while for her to get there.
Thank you for all the condolescences and kind words and the advice, everyone. I'm honestly devastated for him because he's such a lovely guy and he's never done anything to deserve this. He's being so brave about it all aswell
Unfortunately bad things happen to the nicest of people, he ll come out of it stronger in the end especially with the support of good friends like yourself.
Original post by Muttley79
My mum died of cancer when I was in my early 20s. Practical help is good - look at the website 'what to do when someone dies' - things like 'tell us once' stop mail to the deceased person.

There may well be legal things to do with the will amd dealing with her belongings so just be there.

Remind your friend that memories always keep our loved ones alive - dealing with a bereavement is not a quick process.

Oh :frown: :cry2: I'm so sorry to hear that :console: :console: :console: :console: That must have been a terrible time for you

Thank you for the practical advice too, its very much appreciated right now
Original post by shawn_o1

I'm sorry to hear this :console: cancer is a horrible, terrible thing. I know how hard it is to loose grandparents to cancer aswell :console:
Original post by claireestelle
Unfortunately bad things happen to the nicest of people, he ll come out of it stronger in the end especially with the support of good friends like yourself.

Thank you so much for this :hugs:

You're right, there is not a lot I can do except provide emotional and practical help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending