Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Human Resource Management Ba Hons [UK]

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of getting into human resource management course in a university in London, I've been doing a lot of research around what are the duties of a hr manager, their salary and the amount of time it takes. The duties interest me, however the salary differs - many different websites give different average salaries in London. What is the actual average salary i.e can I earn a good amount of money with this career. Also, to become a hr manager would I have to become a hr assistant first, then hr officer, then manager? or can I straight away get into hr manager - on google it says that experience is required. The salary for hr manager seems good but the hr officer/assistant is around 15-25k for few years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRbuddy)
    I'm thinking of getting into human resource management course in a university in London, I've been doing a lot of research around what are the duties of a hr manager, their salary and the amount of time it takes. The duties interest me, however the salary differs - many different websites give different average salaries in London. What is the actual average salary i.e can I earn a good amount of money with this career. Also, to become a hr manager would I have to become a hr assistant first, then hr officer, then manager? or can I straight away get into hr manager - on google it says that experience is required. The salary for hr manager seems good but the hr officer/assistant is around 15-25k for few years
    Hiya, I'm also looking to do HR Management. I've been told a HRM graduate that you have to start from HR assistant (18-24k), then HR Advisor (25k-34k), then Manager (35k-50k+) Directors can earn 60k-80k+, depending on the size of the company. This is a general guide, however it may vary across regions like London.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Do you know roughly how many years it will take to become a HR Manager or Director through this process?

I've done some research, and from one source I found out that to become a HR assistant you just need a HND qualification, and so if did the full HR Management Degree Ba Hons and Masters, will I be able to immediately jump into becoming a HR Manager?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Do you know roughly how many years it will take to become a HR Manager or Director through this process?

I've done some research, and from one source I found out that to become a HR assistant you just need a HND qualification, and so if did the full HR Management Degree Ba Hons and Masters, will I be able to immediately jump into becoming a HR Manager?
    I've also done some research. From what I've found, you usually need 3-5 years of experience in Human Resources to be a HR manager after you qualify with CIPD. Employers generally look at your experience than qualification, although they're important too, but experience demonstrates that you've applied your knowledge in a real world setting. Unless you've worked in HR before, graduating from HR Management will not make you a HR Manager straight away. It is crucial that you have experience as an HR Advisor or even an HR Assistant prior.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again but one more thing!

Do you know roughly how long it would take one to become a human resource director? If you do Human Resource Management BA Hons Degree can you become a human resource director? Is it hard/competitive to become a human resource director in the sense that there's only very few spaces available within organisations for one to become a human resource director?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again but one more thing!

Do you know roughly how long it would take one to become a human resource director? If you do Human Resource Management BA Hons Degree can you become a human resource director? Is it hard/competitive to become a human resource director in the sense that there's only very few spaces available within organisations for one to become a human resource director?
    Yes, after you graduate with a HR Management BA degree, making you a member of the CIPD, you're qualified enough to be a HR director. However, employers do look for postgraduate training is well, expecially Level 7 (advanced) or Chartered Member, or even better, Charted Fellow of the CIPD. You can get more information about these qualifications on the CIPD website. What's most valuable to employers is experience. Around 10 years of HR experience in a business environment should demonstrate that you're suitable for the position of HR director.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.