ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazybutmotivated)
    Calculate the concentration in both mol dm-3 & g dm-3:

1.05g of NaOH in 500cm3 of solution
    (Original post by d010534)
    gdm-3 = 1.05/(0.5)
    For moldm-3:
    n=m/mr to find number of moles. Then use c=n/v
    This is correct but a quick way to do the last part is to recognise that the difference between the two is that it goes from g to mol, and using the equation n=m/Mr you could just divide the answer got for g dm-3 by the Mr of NaOH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    This is correct but a quick way to do the last part is to recognise that the difference between the two is that it goes from g to mol, and using the equation n=m/Mr you could just divide the answer got for g dm-3 by the Mr of NaOH
    Using your method I would get 0.0525 g dm-3 (2.1/40=0.0525) however on the markscheme it says the answer is 84

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazybutmotivated)
    Using your method I would get 0.0525 g dm-3 (2.1/40=0.0525) however on the markscheme it says the answer is 84
    You should get 2.1 g dm-3 (doing 1.05 g / 0.5 dm3)
    Then divide 2.1 g dm-3 by the Mr of NaOH which is 40 which should give you 0.0525 mol dm-3 as you correctly calculated.
    I do not see where the 84 could have come from. Perhaps could you post the mark scheme so that I could have a look?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    You should get 2.1 g dm-3 (doing 1.05 g / 0.5 dm3)
    Then divide 2.1 g dm-3 by the Mr of NaOH which is 40 which should give you 0.0525 mol dm-3 as you correctly calculated.
    I do not see where the 84 could have come from. Perhaps could you post the mark scheme so that I could have a look?
    I

I THInk the mark scheme is wrong. These questions are from chemsheet & I haven noticed a few other times in which the marksheme is incorrect

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.