Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Deadlift form

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 15 and I really love lifting weights. But recently, I've been concerned with my deadlift form- I feel pain in my lower back for a couple of days after deadlifting (I know the difference between pain and soreness). I'm a solo gym goer (I use the school gym so never really got an induction for free weights) and I'm not really sure who to consult. There's a lot of information online but it keeps on varying, some websites say to round your back, some don't. Can anyone offer some advice?

ReputationRep:
    Video yourself deadlifting and post it here

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I commend your commitment to start training at 15, however make sure your form is on point to avoid injury.

There are a few pointers and internal queues to remember when performing the deadlift. I will bullet point them for ease of reference:

1. Feet position can vary, choose whatever is most comfortable.
    2. Bracing your core - stand straight up with your arms straight out in from of you and take a deep breath.
    3. Push your lats into your pockets - this is an internal queue that will help keep your whole body tight.
    4. Don't allow your hips to rise to early as your lower back will take over - hence your lower back pain.

Here is a video a helpful video from a great individual to follow on YouTube for informative tips on all things fitness - Omar Isuf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfOxKyn7wGI

'Train Smart and Stay Consistent'
    Mechanical Bicep
    www.mechanicalbicep.com

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.