Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the last year of Sixth Form and chose Sociology, Psychology and World Development. The reason behind these choices were that I wanted to do nursing and these seemed to be the most relevant offered. Over the past year and a half I've actually realised that nursing isn't what I want to do for a number of reasons. This has left me in a stuck situation regarding what course to pick for uni.

I'm quite interested in accountancy and finance but my boyfriend who is currently doing an apprenticeship says I probably won't be considered due to my A Level subject choices (due to not being relevant). Is this the case? I've looked into doing a few related courses to increase my chance but I'm very much a doubter so now I thinking what if he's right. Any inside information or personal opinions are greatly appreciated. In addition to applying to uni i'm considering apprenticeships through the big four so anyone who's gone down that route know if they only want related A Levels ... I have looked into the big four and it's just a preferred requirement not essential. Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    what about a foundation degree, the first year covers pretty much what they assume you've missed from college (the basics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vexd)
    what about a foundation degree, the first year covers pretty much what they assume you've missed from college (the basics)
    I wish that was an option but I'm not actually classed as a UK citizen so the government here part fund degrees but exclude foundation years. Uni is already going to a huge financial struggle (as for most people but with additional costs of flights or boats if I do want to come home at any point) so I'm trying to find alternatives if I'm honest. Also I feel foundation courses aren't really my ideal as I am academically able therefore think I would feel rather 'degraded' and it adds an additional year - that's just my personal opinion on my situation, not undermining anyone who does a foundation year!. Thank you for suggesting it though! Obviously it will be a back up plan!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nataliem24)
    I'm currently in the last year of Sixth Form and chose Sociology, Psychology and World Development. The reason behind these choices were that I wanted to do nursing and these seemed to be the most relevant offered. Over the past year and a half I've actually realised that nursing isn't what I want to do for a number of reasons. This has left me in a stuck situation regarding what course to pick for uni.

I'm quite interested in accountancy and finance but my boyfriend who is currently doing an apprenticeship says I probably won't be considered due to my A Level subject choices (due to not being relevant). Is this the case? I've looked into doing a few related courses to increase my chance but I'm very much a doubter so now I thinking what if he's right. Any inside information or personal opinions are greatly appreciated. In addition to applying to uni i'm considering apprenticeships through the big four so anyone who's gone down that route know if they only want related A Levels ... I have looked into the big four and it's just a preferred requirement not essential. Thank you!!
    What he's said isn't true in the slightest. It's very rare that your uni subject choice (talk of a level subject choice) matters in any grave sense for accounting or finance grad schemes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    What he's said isn't true in the slightest. It's very rare that your uni subject choice (talk of a level subject choice) matters in any grave sense for accounting or finance grad schemes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for informing me!!

ReputationRep:
    alot of of a&f courses take any a-level combination, so research into who requires what and focus your uni choices there. and as prince said most accounting/finance are open to all degree disciplines

ReputationRep:
    Choice of subjects at A-Levels is almost irrelevant for many degree. Just work hard to get the highest number of UCAS points as you can. For internships and graduate roles you'll notice that firms (Big4) will filter out candidates which don't meet their academic criteria. I believe it's AAB-BBB for Deloitte,KPMG. The smaller accountancy firms will only ask for a 2.1 or even a 2.2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.