The Student Room Group

Non-target to summer offer at one of (GS/MS/JPM) - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Breakingbank
haha sure am, hoping the free takeouts will keep me going through the night, chinese wednesdays, indian thursdays & pizza fridays, sushi on the weekends

I would say im adequate, I defo plan on practising beforehand will be hitting up youtube, m&i and wso for excel short cuts etc.. if u had any resources you found useful - hit me up

I'd add 'A Simple Model' to your list, use the website and not the youtube channel . It is completely free and almost as comprehensive as wall street prep and m&i.

OP is a legend, 'I skipped class to kick ball' haha. Congratulations by the way.
How many of your classmates were able to convert their SW into a summer internship? Congrats on the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Serious congrats, so good to see people from non-targets being given a shot!

Have you got any examples of networking events you went to? Trying so hard to break into the industry atm and getting no luck whatsoever - got A* A* A. for A-level grades but i go to a non-target!
Original post by Fkohist
I'd add 'A Simple Model' to your list, use the website and not the youtube channel . It is completely free and almost as comprehensive as wall street prep and m&i.

OP is a legend, 'I skipped class to kick ball' haha. Congratulations by the way.

Haha! cheers dude!
Original post by Legend15
How many of your classmates were able to convert their SW into a summer internship? Congrats on the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, just to confirm by converted do you mean how many managed to successfully convert it to an offer? or how many were selected for the conversion process e.g. to be invited back for an assessment centre for the summer internship?
Original post by GymLad78
Serious congrats, so good to see people from non-targets being given a shot!

Have you got any examples of networking events you went to? Trying so hard to break into the industry atm and getting no luck whatsoever - got A* A* A. for A-level grades but i go to a non-target!

thank you! A*A*A and at a non-target hahaha why are you not at LSE :P sorry to hear dude, dont give up and keep trying, apply everywhere, i even applied to accounting firms :tongue: Networking events I went to were things like the bright network festival and investment banking top 100 etc.. i regularly checked banks websites for student events and they occasionally hosted networking events down at their offices in london which i went to :smile:
Haha! cheers dude!

Thank you, just to confirm by converted do you mean how many managed to successfully convert it to an offer? or how many were selected for the conversion process e.g. to be invited back for an assessment centre for the summer internship?

The latter

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say around 50% were selected to be invited back for an assessment centre, this was based upon performance during a group presentation project and a one to one interview at the end of the spring week.

A little under half of those invited to the assessment centre received an offer, so in total around 20% of the spring class successfully converted it into a summer offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks. Final question, would u say that alot of ur classmates applied for SW?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Legend15
Thanks. Final question, would u say that alot of ur classmates applied for SW?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A fair amount of my classmates applied (all got rejections), but if you go to a semi-target or a target uni pretty much everyone will be applying to spring weeks
Did any of your SW classmates do a Physics degree, or any non-Econ degree?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Did any of your SW classmates do a Physics degree, or any non-Econ degree?

Yeah defo, met a couple people doing physics! The range was huge, quite a lot of engineering students, a lot of maths students, a couple physics students, met a biology student, a few accounting&finance students and then a fair amount of econ students.

Degree subjects are super diversified in the world of banking.
Yeah defo, met a couple people doing physics! The range was huge, quite a lot of engineering students, a lot of maths students, a couple physics students, met a biology student, a few accounting&finance students and then a fair amount of econ students.

Degree subjects are super diversified in the world of banking.

Cool, thanks! Congrats on your offer, and good luck for the summer!
Advice for someone in first year with no experience in finance at all?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Cool, thanks! Congrats on your offer, and good luck for the summer!

thank you!
Original post by Praise KEK
Advice for someone in first year with no experience in finance at all?

Join finance/economics societies at university, network a lot, if you are at a target or semi-target university look out for any events the banks will be hosting at your campus and attend them, take part in as many extra circular activities as you can, perhaps start your own virtual trading account, do some volunteer work and try differentiate yourself as much as possible. Contact alumni on linkedin to have phone calls and all this should differentiate you enough in your applications!
Reply 33
congratulations! as a fellow non-target university student (soas) it gives me hope to see you succeed! im applying for grad schemes myself and id just like to ask about what networking events you went to, whether or not they were exclusive and how you made use of linkedn?
Original post by TKSR123
congratulations! as a fellow non-target university student (soas) it gives me hope to see you succeed! im applying for grad schemes myself and id just like to ask about what networking events you went to, whether or not they were exclusive and how you made use of linkedn?

Thank you, I went to Bright Network festival, Bright Network investment banking top 100, and also a few insight days that banks host! if you check on their website it should say any that they are hosting which I went to. LinkedIn I just sent out a few requests and personalised messaged, most ignored my requests and some accepted but never replied, whilst the rare few accepted and replied which led to phone calls and ultimately meeting up for drinks.

I also sent a few cold emails, get their name on linkedin then email firstname.surname@(banksname).com again most never replied but the ocassional few replied and were willing to have a phone call/meet up.

all this helped me get onto the spring weeks and in return, the spring weeks helped me get interviews for the summers :smile: goodluck!
Reply 35
Thank you, I went to Bright Network festival, Bright Network investment banking top 100, and also a few insight days that banks host! if you check on their website it should say any that they are hosting which I went to. LinkedIn I just sent out a few requests and personalised messaged, most ignored my requests and some accepted but never replied, whilst the rare few accepted and replied which led to phone calls and ultimately meeting up for drinks.

I also sent a few cold emails, get their name on linkedin then email firstname.surname@(banksname).com again most never replied but the ocassional few replied and were willing to have a phone call/meet up.

all this helped me get onto the spring weeks and in return, the spring weeks helped me get interviews for the summers :smile: goodluck!

sounds interesting. tbh ive totally neglected my linkedin up to now, better get back on it and start cold emailing!

about these insight days, arent they exclusive? i always thought that you needed to apply for them first? will have to look into it further...how often do banks hold them anyway and are they available for all levels, ie grads, internship applicants??

unfortunately im not eligible for bright network 100:frown:, i graduate next year, only available for those graduating in 2018.

thanks for the advice:smile: i did internships in my second year too but not at a huge bank. blamed that on my university but as you proved, it was in my hands!
Just want to say congrats, as a non-target who has had a couple interviews (come on rbc where's my AC) I know how tough it must have been! I have nothing to say except that you do give me a bit of motivation! :smile:
Original post by TKSR123
sounds interesting. tbh ive totally neglected my linkedin up to now, better get back on it and start cold emailing!

about these insight days, arent they exclusive? i always thought that you needed to apply for them first? will have to look into it further...how often do banks hold them anyway and are they available for all levels, ie grads, internship applicants??

unfortunately im not eligible for bright network 100:frown:, i graduate next year, only available for those graduating in 2018.

thanks for the advice:smile: i did internships in my second year too but not at a huge bank. blamed that on my university but as you proved, it was in my hands!

Tbh, I don't think cold emailing is necessary perfectly fine not to do it, it's just what I did to help expand my network! Very few replied but those who did I managed to arrange coffees and phone calls with which helped me learn more about IBD and their specific bank.

Yeah the insight days do require applications, but it's worth a shot applying, most banks host a few of them every year I think! normally each one is for different university levels, some are first years, others are penultimate years etc..

No worries, good luck with your applications!
Original post by AenigmaFx
Just want to say congrats, as a non-target who has had a couple interviews (come on rbc where's my AC) I know how tough it must have been! I have nothing to say except that you do give me a bit of motivation! :smile:

thank you! best of luck with RBC!
Reply 38
Tbh, I don't think cold emailing is necessary perfectly fine not to do it, it's just what I did to help expand my network! Very few replied but those who did I managed to arrange coffees and phone calls with which helped me learn more about IBD and their specific bank.

Yeah the insight days do require applications, but it's worth a shot applying, most banks host a few of them every year I think! normally each one is for different university levels, some are first years, others are penultimate years etc..

No worries, good luck with your applications!

thank you! best of luck with RBC!

tbh, cold emailing never even entered my mind previously. i thought the only real way to network was to meet guys at career events and ask for business cards. i got linkedin in a sort of 'me too' moment, without really using it. your approach of cold emailing makes quite a bit of sense. will deefinitely try it.

as a final parting question, do you know whether banks also allow recent graduates to attend these events, or only current students?
Haha! cheers dude!

thank you! A*A*A and at a non-target hahaha why are you not at LSE :P sorry to hear dude, dont give up and keep trying, apply everywhere, i even applied to accounting firms :tongue: Networking events I went to were things like the bright network festival and investment banking top 100 etc.. i regularly checked banks websites for student events and they occasionally hosted networking events down at their offices in london which i went to :smile:

Hahaha I'm an example of why the system is a failure! I got BBBB at AS so only applied to Russels and now consequently at Cardiff with A* A* A. I aim to do my MSc at LSE or HEC however, I feel as though that would propel me into IBD. With regards to landing an internship for next summer; do you have any recommendations of where to apply? I've applied to most bulge-brackets bar GS. Had an investment management interview today - that was tough! Any particular banks that may take me on, e.g. RBC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending