The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi. I was wondering linked to applying for maths- will unis still want you to put down your marks on AS exam equivalents done internally or would they just ask for predicted grades and currently working at grades? 👍
Original post by psc---maths
Hi. I was wondering linked to applying for maths- will unis still want you to put down your marks on AS exam equivalents done internally or would they just ask for predicted grades and currently working at grades? 👍

If they're internals I highly doubt they care because they can't put them in context. Our A-level physics mock had a severely messed-up mark distribution with only a few students getting more than 50% raw marks.

You don't put it formally on UCAS or the SAQ. Your referee could mention it in your reference. Your referee also provides your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
You don't put it formally on UCAS or the SAQ? Your referee could mention it in your reference. Your referee also provides your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I generally just meant in the sense of the universities being informed of the marks as opposed to what I said- sorry!

(It's just that I'm aware that it is now different to how it was in previous years so was wondering how it impacted applications and weightings on AS scores- but it's been answered now. Thanks!)
(edited 5 years ago)
I generally just meant in the sense of the universities being informed of the marks as opposed to what I said- sorry!

(It's just that I'm aware that it is now different to how it was in previous years so was wondering how it impacted applications and weightings on AS scores- but it's been answered now. Thanks!)

Yes, so that's what I was saying. Your referee can inform universities via the reference.
Original post by thotproduct
Same! I'm doing your 4 plus some extra quals, with the same 4A* (I may take an extra AS as a 5th in Y13). However I'm mulling Maths too, so I'm entering in for all 3 STEPs

wat?
Hey i wanna apply for the engineering course here in cambridge,could anyone who has already succeeded tell me what grade do i have to get at egnaa papers to be considered as a strong applicant?
Original post by David765
Hey i wanna apply for the engineering course here in cambridge,could anyone who has already succeeded tell me what grade do i have to get at egnaa papers to be considered as a strong applicant?

There's no pass mark. People can get offers with low ENGAA marks, or be rejected despite high marks.

Cambridge view all aspects of an application holistically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LAW?
Original post by Sophbarry16
LAW?

Hey!! I'm a first year law student at Cambridge and am looking to guide and offer personal tutoring to those interested in gaining entry into the top law school in the UK :smile: Drop me a message if you are interested! xx
Original post by David765

I've got an engineering offer for starting this year in October. There is no actual ENGAA mark required for you to be considered as a strong applicant. The whole process is holistic so they take everything into account including AS & A level results, engaa score and how you perform at interview.
Original post by sweeneyrod
The CompSci course covers hardware, but it's a fairly minor element: it is 1 module out of ~16 in first year and 1 out of ~20 in second year. I wouldn't apply to it if that's your only interest.

I would say that the course is about 1/3 theory, 1/3 "systems" and 1/3 other stuff (programming, AI, interface design). Hardware falls under systems, which also contains things like networking and databases. Most people lean towards certain parts of the course (or frequently lean away from either theory or systems) so you certainly don't have to be interested in everything, but I think an interest in programming is probably necessary to enjoy it.

Would you say it's still possible to enjoy the course if you don't like "systems"? I really like theory and enjoy programming a lot, and hardware actually seems quite interesting as well to me, but everything I learned so far regarding stuff like networks or databases was rather boring tbh
Hi - if anyone is coming for the open days tomorrow / Friday then I will be in the Maths department, wandering about giving out fliers for the STEP support programme and answering any questions :-)
Hello! I'm applying to Cambridge medical school, hopefully to Trinity or St Johns college. Anyone going to the open day tomorrow?
Reply 1254
Original post by chickenwing2291
Hello! I'm applying to Cambridge medical school, hopefully to Trinity or St Johns college. Anyone going to the open day tomorrow?

not going tomorrow, going Friday.
Original post by CompSciCat
Would you say it's still possible to enjoy the course if you don't like "systems"? I really like theory and enjoy programming a lot, and hardware actually seems quite interesting as well to me, but everything I learned so far regarding stuff like networks or databases was rather boring tbh

Definitely, that's my situation! Having said that, your reactions to courses might not be what you expect. I grew to like large chunks of various systems courses (but conversely didn't enjoy some theory courses as much as I thought I would).
Original post by Drogo Baggins
Hi - if anyone is coming for the open days tomorrow / Friday then I will be in the Maths department, wandering about giving out fliers for the STEP support programme and answering any questions :-)

Would have liked to help out but scheduled right in the middle of the working week instead of the weekend. :'(
Hi everyone, I’m going to one of Experience Cambridge events on Saturday (chemistry). If anyone is going, do you know the name/title of the pre-reading article as I can’t access my account? I want to make the most of going and not show myself up so I can make a 100% informed decision on which part of Oxbridge I’m applying to, rather than applying to Oxford because of any embarassment at Cambridge (although I am leaning towards Oxford). I figured I could find someone here who’s going.

EDIT: Got a reply to the email I sent so it’s all good now.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Would have liked to help out but scheduled right in the middle of the working week instead of the weekend. :'(

Makes life easier for those of us who want to spend the weekend doing other stuff :-)

Hope you are getting some time to relax over the summer!
Original post by Drogo Baggins
Makes life easier for those of us who want to spend the weekend doing other stuff :-)

Hope you are getting some time to relax over the summer!

Weekend? Free time? Relaxing? What is this mystical thing you speak of?

Latest

Trending

Trending