Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Economics Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How hard is BA economics, i haven't done maths since GCSE, so I would be appplying to BA courses for economics such as Goldsmith, Essex and Hertfordshire, I did economics at A-level. i was wondering how hard is economics at a level is there a lot of maths involved considering it says you only need a B in maths GCSE?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwaway420)
    How hard is BA economics, i haven't done maths since GCSE, so I would be appplying to BA courses for economics such as Goldsmith, Essex and Hertfordshire, I did economics at A-level. i was wondering how hard is economics at a level is there a lot of maths involved considering it says you only need a B in maths GCSE?
    There isn't too much maths involved at A-level. You'll be fine with calculating simple percentage changes and maybe some indexing but that's it.

At university level, it can be a different story. A BSc course will generally have more advanced maths, including partial differentiation, statistical testing and econometrics. I don't know what a BA course would be like, but I assume there will at least be some maths of A-Level difficulty involved as well.

ReputationRep:
    I will put it this way - I am studying Econ at a top UK uni and I can without a doubt say that everyone in my course has gotten an A* equivalent for their A level maths course and we still find it tough.

ReputationRep:
    Id say you'd be fine with BA economics, think with a BA the economics knowledge will be more important than the maths.

I'm currently studying for a Bsc, which is more mathematical (has quite a lot of A-level calculus), at a Russell Group uni whilst also not having A level maths, on a pretty shoddy AS grade. And whilst it is challenging I'm still on course for a 2:1 in my second year. So I'd expect a BA to definitely be fine.

Finally I did look at some BA's when I applied and I was told the BA option is certainly fine for anyone who doesn't have A-Level maths. Shouldn't be much more than percentages etc like you do at A level.

So to sum it up BA fine, but Bsc (if there's any that take B at gcse, think minimum is usually an A at gcse) I'd probably avoid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.