Is first year of uni really a waste? Watch

NotGodofWorld
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Lot of uni students say you can take it easy for the first year, do you think this is true?
Btw I am a first yeat
PrinceHarrys
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. Second year will suck ass if u dont learn first year material
john2054
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NotGodofWorld)
Lot of uni students say you can take it easy for the first year, do you think this is true?
Btw I am a first yeat
the first year is easier. however it is up to you to get in to a positive work habit/ethic at this early stage, so you will hit the floor running later on!
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, it's not a waste.
Yaboi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on the uni but my first year was a baptism of fire, found it very difficult as did most and it was worth 10% of my overall classification.
Vanny17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of overall qualification, you could say yes. Although, some Universities add the first year to the overall qualification.
OP, I would say it is better to do really well and push yourself in the first year, so that you will have that drive/motivation to get a good qualification in the 2nd years/3rd and or 4th year.

All in all, first year is good for getting used to the University life/ jump from A levels and the in-depth theoretical knowledge needed at the University compared to A levels. Do well in first year, and the sky will be your limit.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should use it to learn the right way to succeed at uni. Essays, assignments, exam technique is different at uni than it is at A-level and if you just coast about in 1st year then you have to use 2nd year to learn that, when things actually count.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
You should use it to learn the right way to succeed at uni. Essays, assignments, exam technique is different at uni than it is at A-level and if you just coast about in 1st year then you have to use 2nd year to learn that, when things actually count.
Also they are not teaching you all that vector calculus for the fun of it. You are going to need it.

There tends to be a reason for what they are teaching you as well. Second and third year builds up on top of it.

It least that is what it was like with a physics degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads