Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling to complete this problem:
    A uniform electric field 500 kV m–1 acts vertically downwards. A small oil drop carrying charge –8e falls with a uniform speed of 200 μm s–1. If the charge is increased to –11e, it moves upwards with a speed of 100 μm s–1. Find
    (i) the mass of the drop;
    (ii) the charge it would carry if it were suspended at equilibrium in the field.

My mass for part i) is half what it should be. I haven't used the velocities given so I know my reasoning isn't quite right, but this is what I have done. Because the speed is uniform, a=0, so my weight force must equal my electric force acting opposite direction. If i choose the -8e charge, my mass is almost half out. Given the correct mass, if I do the same procedure for b) i.e. qe=mg, then q comes out correct...what method should I be using for a)? is there a way of using KE since velocities are given?

thanks,
    w

ReputationRep:
    eV =1/2mv^2 You don't know voltage V and you don't know mass of oil drop m.
    So you can derive two equations using the different values for v and solve for the two unknowns V and m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlaser31)
    eV =1/2mv^2 You don't know voltage V and you don't know mass of oil drop m.
    So you can derive two equations using the different values for v and solve for the two unknowns V and m.
    ty so much

ReputationRep:
    On second thoughts this is much more complicated than I first expected.
    My previous comment would not work because the m's will cancel and
    due to the fact the electrons are glued to the oil drop may invalidate the eV equation.
    This page explains how to use the velocities;
    http://vlab.amrita.edu/?sub=1&brch=195&sim=357&cnt=1
    Its a very advanced question (or a very bad question). Well beyond A-level.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.