Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a second-year student at the University of Birmingham, studying Maths with Business Management. I have a 4 year course which includes a Masters but I'm not sure if I should stick with it or go for the usual BSc and then apply for another Masters or start working. What's your opinion?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sergiuc)
    Hi,

I'm a second-year student at the University of Birmingham, studying Maths with Business Management. I have a 4 year course which includes a Masters but I'm not sure if I should stick with it or go for the usual BSc and then apply for another Masters or start working. What's your opinion?

Cheers.
    What % did you get in first-year, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    What % did you get in first-year, if you don't mind me asking?
    About 56% or something like that. I'm just wondering if I should pursue a Maths Masters or a Business one. Algebra has always been my passion but I have to go through a lot of other subjects, while I would like also to be an entrepreneur.

ReputationRep:
    With only 56% you probably aren't cut out for the MSci, and besides, you need 60%+ to continue onto the fourth year anyway. I suggest you drop down to the BSc and focus on getting your grades up to 2:1 standard, as well as searching for part-time jobs and work experience (internships are probably off the cards due to your grades).

ReputationRep:
    I already have a lot of work experience as I work as a designer and I have a part-time job so I don't need any work experience. My grades this year will be over 60% for sure, first year was totally new, and it affected my grades. I want to get a first, and I need 55% to get into the 4th year, which I'm sure it's not going to be a problem. I'm still not sure if I should go for the MSci in Maths or have a Bsc in Maths + a masters in Business.

ReputationRep:
    As above, you do need to boost your marks a bit here. It's okay cruising through first year in most degrees if the results don't contribute towards your final degree, but your second year marks will be very important if you decide to apply for an external Masters, as you would apply before you have any third year results (unlike the integrated Masters, where they wait for your third year project or BSc classification).

Perhaps don't think about it too much until the end of second year. Focus on doing well. And you'd probably have a better idea about what sort of further study you'd want to do after second year modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tpx)
    As above, you do need to boost your marks a bit here. It's okay cruising through first year in most degrees if the results don't contribute towards your final degree, but your second year marks will be very important if you decide to apply for an external Masters, as you would apply before you have any third year results (unlike the integrated Masters, where they wait for your third year project or BSc classification).

Perhaps don't think about it too much until the end of second year. Focus on doing well. And you'd probably have a better idea about what sort of further study you'd want to do after second year modules.
    Thanks for the advice. The first year marks don't count and the second year goes well so far, so I'm not too worried about it. The thing that concerns me is the Maths subject used in Business, diff equations and statistics, are not my favourites, so I'm not sure if I should do a Masters in Maths where I will probably choose a lot of Algebra stuff which won't help much in my business career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sergiuc)
    Thanks for the advice. The first year marks don't count and the second year goes well so far, so I'm not too worried about it. The thing that concerns me is the Maths subject used in Business, diff equations and statistics, are not my favourites, so I'm not sure if I should do a Masters in Maths where I will probably choose a lot of Algebra stuff which won't help much in my business career.
    I did a master in management, so I would say you should choose a master based on a business field you're planning to work in. If you're considering working within the field of Corporate Finance (not to mention accounting), perhaps a master in Maths and Management will be more useful. However, if you're thinking about Marketing or HR then a more specific master might be a better choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agrew)
    I did a master in management, so I would say you should choose a master based on a business field you're planning to work in. If you're considering working within the field of Corporate Finance (not to mention accounting), perhaps a master in Maths and Management will be more useful. However, if you're thinking about Marketing or HR then a more specific master might be a better choice.
    I see myself as a future entrepreneur, a leader, not the guy that would do the calculus or finances. I was thinking to try a masters in management and math. Thanks for the advice.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.