Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Having trouble deciding what courses to do

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm pretty sure I want to do something like English Literature and Creative Writing at university, but I'm aware that it's difficult to get into these courses because they tend to be quite small. The universities I want to apply to are Nottingham, Birmingham, Warwick, Surrey and Royal Holloway. However, I'm considering just applying to English Literature at Royal Holloway because it's hopefully going to be my insurance uni, and with English Literature and Creative Writing they're asking for a portfolio to be sent in before the offer is confirmed. Is this a good idea? I kinda need an offer from Royal Holloway since it's my backup option, but Nottingham is probably going to be my firm choice if I get an offer from them. I got ABB at AS, and my predicted grades are hopefully going to be A*AA this year. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    That might be a good idea if you really want to avoid submitting a portfolio.

Then if you end up at Royal Holloway you can inquire about doing creative writing as well as English. I've heard unis can be quite flexible about switching things round once you have an offer and are actually attending the uni as one of their students.

Ending up doing just Eng lit at uni wouldn't be the end of the world anyway as I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities to get involved in creative writing outside your course.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.