Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Engineering based apprenticeship aged 26? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'm reallising I am getting on a bit now at 26YO and my time is running out for an engineering apprenticeship. I've been looking at BAE Telford, RAF and a few others.
    I understand my chances of getting any engineering apprenticeship regardless of age will be difficult. The RAF Vehicle Technician role looks great, I've just read a
    thread about the application process - there's no way I'm getting chosen!
    Are there any other apprenticeships that you could recommend that revolve
    around vehicle engineering for someone my age?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered the Royal Navy? I am 100% sure they have many apprenticeships for people aged 18-34
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    JLR, There's plenty of older apprentices on the scheme.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    JLR, There's plenty of older apprentices on the scheme.
    (Original post by g12)
    I'm reallising I am getting on a bit now at 26YO and my time is running out for an engineering apprenticeship. I've been looking at BAE Telford, RAF and a few others.
    I understand my chances of getting any engineering apprenticeship regardless of age will be difficult. The RAF Vehicle Technician role looks great, I've just read a
    thread about the application process - there's no way I'm getting chosen!
    Are there any other apprenticeships that you could recommend that revolve
    around vehicle engineering for someone my age?
    Hi, you'll be happy to hear there is no age limit for becoming an apprentice (as long as you're over 16 and not in full time education), and secondly - relevant work experience is a plus, but it's not essential. You have been looking at some great employers and with the right attitude, determination and preparation there is no reason why anyone should avoid applying for an apprenticeship. The fact you have an interest in engineering is a good start.

The level of apprenticeship which you go into is based on your experience and educational achievements, I would recommend looking into any engineering apprenticeships that interest you and looking at requirements as they all differ.

It can be daunting when choosing a new path so I would advise you gather as much information as you can from gov.uk, this link here provides good information https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-guide and The Careers Service are available if you want to chat to someone on 0800 100 900. Good luck!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.