Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Interrupting my course

ReputationRep:
    I started at Exeter uni this year to do a maths bachelors but hated the subject so much that I couldn't even bring myself to do the work. It was SO dull to me and I realised my interests lie elsewhere anyway; even though I did maths, further maths and chemistry at A level, I was kind of going through the motions because I thought it was what I had to do to get a decent living. But even if I somehow stumbled through the maths degree (I would definitely NOT get a first), the best outcome would be working in a high paying yet soul destroying job in the financial sector which would be hell for me.

So, I thought of what would be best for me, rather than what other people expected of me, and chose to interrupt my course at the end of the first term with a view of returning to study PPE. I used to love writing essays on different topics in school, and because I was so passionate I always got good marks. Creative writing is another passion of mine also. And the maths qualifications I already have stand me in good stead for the economics portion of the degree.

Interrupting isn't the same as withdrawing; it just means my place is 'frozen' until I return next year. Also, another factor contributing to my decision was my mental health. I've always struggled but reached a new low at uni, so in the interim I'll stay in the area, find some part time work, maybe even on campus, volunteer and start reading up on PPE.

My questions are: to those who studied PPE at Exeter, how'd you find it? What books would you recommend for learning about the subject? And do you think my decision to interrupt is too rash or sensible?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP!

Poll
How are you feeling about your exams so far?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.