Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Uni dropout ideas/careers that don't need a degree?

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm a university fresher (chemistry) at a top London uni but I don't think I'll be able to stick it out - the hours are intense, the content is not what I was expecting, I hate labs, haven't really made any close friends and im struggling being so far away from home - pretty much the only reason I haven't dropped out yet is that I'm not really sure what my career prospects would look like. I've always planned to go into academia or research however I've now had a total change of heart and would prefer industry, r&d, etc

The thing is... I basically sold my soul for my a levels, quite enjoy studying, etc. The only real options are apprenticeships and stuff that I'm aware of, but I've had really high career hopes and I don't really know what to think now... I'm not sure if there are any good opportunities available, or where to look..

Can anyone point me in the direction of schemes or pathways into good careers that don't require degrees? Bonus points if they are Manchester based...

Any help/guidance appreciated. Thanks very much

(Original post by 1010marina)
    Hi all,

I'm a university fresher (chemistry) at a top London uni but I don't think I'll be able to stick it out - the hours are intense, the content is not what I was expecting, I hate labs, haven't really made any close friends and im struggling being so far away from home - pretty much the only reason I haven't dropped out yet is that I'm not really sure what my career prospects would look like. I've always planned to go into academia or research however I've now had a total change of heart and would prefer industry, r&d, etc

The thing is... I basically sold my soul for my a levels, quite enjoy studying, etc. The only real options are apprenticeships and stuff that I'm aware of, but I've had really high career hopes and I don't really know what to think now... I'm not sure if there are any good opportunities available, or where to look..

Can anyone point me in the direction of schemes or pathways into good careers that don't require degrees? Bonus points if they are Manchester based...

Any help/guidance appreciated. Thanks very much
    Can't you reapply to other unis? or are you sure that you would like to quit uni completely?

ReputationRep:
    Have you completed the first year (I think completing the first year renders you over qualified for apprenticeships, that's what I was told) so if you haven't, get out of there as fast as possible and start applying. There are loads of great opportunities, for starters you could go to the .gov.uk website for vacancies and filter according to type (make sure you choose higher or degree since you want to progress, not take to 2 steps back). Good luck.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.