Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone organised a give blood session at their school- if so how did you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    You must be 17 to donate blood so a session in a school may not work too well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    :confused: the only use i'd see in that would be if the school was open for the public/parents to come in as well, on a special day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    :confused: the only use i'd see in that would be if the school was open for the public/parents to come in as well, on a special day.
    for 6th form/teacherS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    At my school they had a session for sixth formers, joint with the boys' school I think, and I believe it was quite successful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Moderator)
    for 6th form/teacherS?
    well about 2/3 of sixth form (assuming the school has one). i just stated the reason why most schools don't bother having one. it would be a good idea if more people than just a few of the older students/teachers were involved though as a school is a good community setting after all.

ReputationRep:
    i gave blood at uni a few times, on all occasions i failed to give more than about half a pint, i just didn't want to bleed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I've always wondered why it is 17 and not 16 or 18. Both my parents give blood but I've never really thought about it. I believe it is something to encourage, although they could help themselves by changing a few of their rules on giving blood.

ReputationRep:
    I'm giving blood tomorrow but I had an injection at the dentist today, should be ok shouldn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I'm giving blood tomorrow but I had an injection at the dentist today, should be ok shouldn't it?
    Tell them...they'll ask you quite a few questions before you're allowed to donate anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Tell them...they'll ask you quite a few questions before you're allowed to donate anyway.
    Ok cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I'm giving blood today too - woohoo!

I think that (from memory) simple dental work need 24 hours, and more complex dental work is 7 days. Let them know anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a very noble and honourable thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    I think its a very noble and honourable thing to do.
    until they stick the needle into your arm, the blood doesnt come out & youre in obvious pain, and they just try to twist the needle within your arm, making it much worse, messing up your weight training for 3 weeks and you realise that instead of getting the vein she just pierced through the tendons in your arm....

but other than that 1st time giving blood was ok

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.