Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How to cure sleep paralysis Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem with sleep paralysis. It happens almost everyday with me actually counting less than 10 nights since january when i dont have it. It stats with a very bad dream . Usually i now know how to distinguish if it is a dream and i try to wake up. I then realise that i am paralysed and cannot move even my eye lids. I usualy get out of it by using all my power to move my leg and i when it just moves an inch i wake up like i have been statled. Yesterday the routine of trying to move my leg did not work and i had to spend 30 minutes being concious and having the nightmares continuosly play out in my head but knowing that its a dream and i could not get out of it. Its now becoming harder and harder to wake up. Im even scared to go to sleep. Please help
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    this happens to me too, minus the bad dreams and not being able to move for as long as it happens to you. it happens to me when i get waken up abruptly in the middle of deep sleep. my mind is awake but i am unable to move for a few seconds which is really annoying. this is why i have stopped taking naps in the middle of the day since this is when you don't sleep as deep. i also try to wake up straight away (rather than just laying in bed for a few minutes, because I'm still really tired so my eyes start to shut. this is also when it happens to me sometimes) in the mornings to avoid me tricking my self back to sleep.
    to avoid the paralysis i sleep on my right side. you must avoid sleeping on your back. my back is my favourite position but i had to give it up it worked really well for a while but it does happen a few times, maybe once in a week. i also heard that you should try to wiggle your toes and fingers. i tried this and i am able to but i still wake up a bit a later. i also read that you should squeeze your eyes shut, but since you can't move your eyelids this may not work.
    i know its creepy but i don't have the dreams with it so i can't say that i know how you feel. but with the arms and legs not moving i understand how annoying it can be!
    i also wanted to say that i went to my gp to talk about this in the summer, she told me that anxiety can be a factor, which was one reason because every night i used to fear this would happen to me. i now don't care whether it happens or not and the amount of times it has happened to me has decreased. she also said that its common so i shouldn't worry about that either.
    I found that i get waken up from this from the normal ways you get waken up from sleep: loud noises, being shaken etc. i suggest you get a loud alarm clock and set it to whatever time you need too, although i know the paralysis can happen at any time and that theres other factors which mean an alarm clock may not be the best solution...
    anyway i hope i helped by sharing what I've learnt through my experience with it. Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Do you experience anxiety or stress during the day? If so, dealing with that would help with not getting sleep paralysis. Underlying stress is usually the biggest cause of sleep paralysis. I get it a lot too and its honestly the scariest thing I've ever experienced. Hope you manage to find a way to stop this for you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    The sleeping position does not work as i've tried every position in the book. I don't have stress except maybe for the usual A level stress of exams. And its getting more difficult to work up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavyDG)
    The sleeping position does not work as i've tried every position in the book. I don't have stress except maybe for the usual A level stress of exams. And its getting more difficult to work up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hm id say get an alarm clock and wake up the same time everyday and sleep at the same time, get a regular sleeping pattern. (this is really hard for anyone though especially with a levels.) the loud noise will bring you back. don't use an alarm on your phone because that sound can work its way into your dream as its not as loud and obnoxious as a proper metal alarm clock.

ReputationRep:
    I sleep at 12 and wake up at 5 everyday i think thats regular. And for the alarm i tried it..it didnt work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The best way is just don't move and tell yourself that this is sleep paralysis. Just keep telling yourself that and don't try to move. Then you'll go back to sleep and you should wake up normally.

ReputationRep:
    I cant go back to sleep because i will be having nightmares

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That clickbait though: "I've tried every position."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

X
    know this is going to sound really really weird.
    But have you tried to divert the topic of your dreams? Since you're aware that it's a nightmare, have you tried to change the scene and then gradually wake up or go back to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Its like my brain is paralysed as well so that i just know that its a nightmare but cant change anything. I just lie paralysed while the whole thing plays out in my head. I sweat profusely and get very tired just by trying to move a finger. If the nightmare is over my head just goes black but i will stiill be paralysed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sleep on your side.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that this has been happening all year means i have had time to try everything. I have even slept sitting on a chair and it stiill happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Its like my brain is paralysed as well so that i just know that its a nightmare but cant change anything. I just lie paralysed while the whole thing plays out in my head. I sweat profusely and get very tired just by trying to move a finger. If the nightmare is over my head just goes black but i will stiill be paralysed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's happened to me so many times. If it happens just don't open your eyes that will be worse.

ReputationRep:
    God, I with I were you.
    I wanna have sleep paralysis. How do I get it? I wanna see demons and sh- so how do you get it?

ReputationRep:
    Sleep on your side and maybe pray a little at night?

ReputationRep:
    If i dont try anyting sometimes i get something like vibrations in my mind and my head hurts horribly so i usually attempt to wake up by using all my power to move my leg. That dit not work two days ago so im now worried that my usual means of escaping is now useless how will i wake up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If i dont try anyting sometimes i get something like vibrations in my mind and my head hurts horribly so i usually attempt to wake up by using all my power to move my leg. That dit not work two days ago so im now worried that my usual means of escaping is now useless how will i wake up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    considering you are from zimbabwe, i suggest you watch or visit yadah tv. im sure you've heard of it.. Walter Magaya
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    clickbait intensifies

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem with sleep paralysis. It happens almost everyday with me actually counting less than 10 nights since january when i dont have it. It stats with a very bad dream . Usually i now know how to distinguish if it is a dream and i try to wake up. I then realise that i am paralysed and cannot move even my eye lids. I usualy get out of it by using all my power to move my leg and i when it just moves an inch i wake up like i have been statled. Yesterday the routine of trying to move my leg did not work and i had to spend 30 minutes being concious and having the nightmares continuosly play out in my head but knowing that its a dream and i could not get out of it. Its now becoming harder and harder to wake up. Im even scared to go to sleep. Please help
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have this periodically... I had a time where I had it like 4 or 5 days in a row and I was terrified to go to sleep so god knows how you feel! There's not really a hard and fast cure... are you stressed about something in life? Do you take drugs? Even your diet could be affecting it... the best thing to do is go to the doctor and insist you be referred to a sleep therapist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2016
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.