Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Investment Banking Industry vs Management Consulting (Read BEFORE you vote!!) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Info on Consulting:
    www.imc.co.uk (scroll to bottom of page and download booklet by insidecareers.com.
    Info on Banking:
    www.vault.com
    www.wetfeet.com
    www.efinancialcareers.com
    (consulting info also available on vault and wetfeet.
    Now; which of the two careers do you find more attractive?

ReputationRep:
    Create a few more threads if you want - are you sure three's enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Create a few more threads if you want - are you sure three's enough?

I personally don't think there is enough!

ReputationRep:
    I think consulting sounds much more interesting BUT I really want a career centred around the financial markets, it seems so energising. Banking itself seems a bore but other areas like trading sound like the dogs bullocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PuffDaddy)
    I think consulting sounds much more interesting BUT I really want a career centred around the financial markets, it seems so energising. Banking itself seems a bore but other areas like trading sound like the dogs bullocks.
    How do you plan to get into that mate? Are you hoping to be a stockbroker?

ReputationRep:
    Trying to keep my options open at the moment hence the choice of an economics degree. Looking at financial management within organisations and corporate law aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing Economics at University at the moment? Is it extremely maths orientated?

(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Trying to keep my options open at the moment hence the choice of an economics degree. Looking at financial management within organisations and corporate law aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Are you doing Economics at University at the moment? Is it extremely maths orientated?
    Nope not yet, 2005 entry so I don't even know where I'll be doing it. But I've heard it will have alot of maths, although more on some courses than others.

ReputationRep:
    How you planning to go about getting a career in such a field?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)

Depends to the university. Some unis may not have so much maths but some do .
    For Example have a look at LSE's BSc Economics course, heres the modules u need to study for the first year in (detail)

· Mathematical Methods

Matrices, reduced row echelon form, rank. Systems of linear equations, Gaussian elimination. Determinants. Vector spaces, linear independence, basis, dimension. Linear transformations, similarity. Eigenvalues. Diagonalization. Orthogonal diagonalization. Complex numbers. Vectors. Functions of several variables, derivatives, gradients, tangent hyperplanes. Optimisation including Lagrange’s method. Vector-valued functions, derivatives and their manipulation. Inverse functions, local inverses and critical points, use in transformations. Integration, differential and difference equations. Some applications of the above topics.

· Economics B

Part A : Consumer behaviour; theory of the firm; competitive markets; monopoly; factor markets; general equilibrium; welfare economics.

Part B : The interaction of aggregate demand and supply to determine real income, employment and the price level. Inflation and unemployment. The effects of international trade and financial transactions on the economy. Under what conditions can monetary and/or fiscal policies be used effectively

. Elementary Statistical Theory
    Descriptive statistics including some exploratory data analysis. Probability and distribution theory. Ideas of statistical inference. Estimation and hypothesis testing. Statistical methods, regression, correlation, analysis of variance.

Plus one other option!

ReputationRep:
    Where's the "I want a life" option. :rolleyes:

Erm. If I had to go for one it would be Consulting, I can't think of anything more boring than being a banker.

LSE is an exceptionally mathematical course, it shouldn't be taken as the norm, not even for a BSc.

ReputationRep:
    Consulting seems to have a higher percentage of females. I'm sick of all those wannabe city slickers (slimeballs), they better fight to keep it male dominated because once the women get a hold its downhill for the men from then on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Where's the "I want a life" option. :rolleyes:

Erm. If I had to go for one it would be Consulting, I can't think of anything more boring than being a banker.

LSE is an exceptionally mathematical course, it shouldn't be taken as the norm, not even for a BSc.
    i think banking looks really fun.... if u ignore the really long hours. i figure ill jus get to a nice MD position shud b easier then haha yes its not that easy i know...

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck betweeen choosing Consulting, Banking and Accounting - hmm but I need to decide so that I can apply to the right internships for next year's summer vacation.

ReputationRep:
    There is a compromise between banking and consultancy... the work I was doing this summer was pretty much management consultancy within an investment bank. Assessing trading performance within a division to set future goals and consider new strategies etc.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.