Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What should I expect from my assessment session?

ReputationRep:
    So I finally plucked up the courage to make an appointment with my university's student pyschological support unit and have an initial assesment on Wednesday. I don't really know what to expect or how to prepare. Can anyone offer any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One way you can prepare is to think about what it is that concerns you in detail (after all there is a reason you're seeing them). While they will aid you by asking questions, it's always helpful if you can write a list of things, including smaller details you may forget to mention, as well as real life examples. Think about when it started, anything related to it in your past, how it makes you feel etc.

I don't know what you're going with, but in general initially you start off by saying your general concerns and the person talking to you will ask about relevant details. Make sure you go in early because you might have to fill out a form beforehand.

This is based on my personal experiences going in with depression and OCD though, both at uni and NHS psychologists. It may be different for you.

Don't worry too much about preparing though, I personally didn't. Expect a friendly environment with a comfortable chair for you to sit in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    One way you can prepare is to think about what it is that concerns you in detail (after all there is a reason you're seeing them). While they will aid you by asking questions, it's always helpful if you can write a list of things, including smaller details you may forget to mention, as well as real life examples. Think about when it started, anything related to it in your past, how it makes you feel etc.

I don't know what you're going with, but in general initially you start off by saying your general concerns and the person talking to you will ask about relevant details. Make sure you go in early because you might have to fill out a form beforehand.

This is based on my personal experiences going in with depression and OCD though, both at uni and NHS psychologists. It may be different for you.

Don't worry too much about preparing though, I personally didn't. Expect a friendly environment with a comfortable chair for you to sit in.
    Thank you so much for your advice! Would it look odd if I actually went in with a list of things written down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Thank you so much for your advice! Would it look odd if I actually went in with a list of things written down?
    No. I'm sure they've had people do that before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    I don't think it would be weird at all. It's something that even mental health professionals have recommended to me.

ReputationRep:
    Writing things down is excellent idea. Try not to be embarrassed and try to be as honest as you can be. This increases your chances of being sent to right counsellor or service

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.