Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can I apply for an extension on my Uni coursework because of my anxiety?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I have a 2000 word essay to write and my deadline is Thursday. I have been suffering from anxiety now for about 6 months, although I haven't been to see my GP yet. I have been thinking about going for a while, but I've been putting it off.

Anyway, I haven't been able to properly focus on my essay because I keep panicking every time I try to start it, telling myself I can't do it. So I've been putting it off and putting it off, and now it's 4 days before the deadline and I still haven't started and obviously I feel worse than ever.

Is anxiety an acceptable reason to apply for an extension? I've looked on my University website (Exeter) and it's quite unclear. It says mitigating circumstances include medical conditions, family crisis or bereavement, but I don't know if they'll accept anxiety as a medical condition? I mean, clearly it is. But some people don't take mental illnesses as serious as physical illnesses.

I'll be grateful for any responses,
    Bex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunaLovegood2508)
    Ok, so I have a 2000 word essay to write and my deadline is Thursday. I have been suffering from anxiety now for about 6 months, although I haven't been to see my GP yet. I have been thinking about going for a while, but I've been putting it off.

Anyway, I haven't been able to properly focus on my essay because I keep panicking every time I try to start it, telling myself I can't do it. So I've been putting it off and putting it off, and now it's 4 days before the deadline and I still haven't started and obviously I feel worse than ever.

Is anxiety an acceptable reason to apply for an extension? I've looked on my University website (Exeter) and it's quite unclear. It says mitigating circumstances include medical conditions, family crisis or bereavement, but I don't know if they'll accept anxiety as a medical condition? I mean, clearly it is. But some people don't take mental illnesses as serious as physical illnesses.

I'll be grateful for any responses,
    Bex
    Yes, anxiety would count as a medical condition if serious, but you will need to see a doctor and get a note for evidence. Talk to your university's student support for guidance.
    You will need to phrase it the right way so talk to your student support team and ask them to help you. You basically need to prove that you have become more anxious recently or that there has been some sort of recent occurance that interfered with your work otherwise they can argue that you should have planned around your anxiety.
    I would also suggest you talk to your doctor about your long term options (therapy maybe) and to your student support team about allowances and help you might be able to recieve like future lieniannce with deadlines or a support worker.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.