Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Economics

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    How hard is BA economics, i haven't done maths since GCSE, so I would be appplying to BA courses for economics such as Essex I did economics at A-level. i was wondering how hard is economics at a level is there a lot of maths involved considering it says you only need a B in maths GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwaway420)
    How hard is BA economics, i haven't done maths since GCSE, so I would be appplying to BA courses for economics such as Essex I did economics at A-level. i was wondering how hard is economics at a level is there a lot of maths involved considering it says you only need a B in maths GCSE?
    Hi there!

I'm a current student at Essex and I did an Economics module in my first year. It does have quite a lot of maths in it and I found that having done A Level maths I was in quite a good position to understand a lot of the work. Having said that, the lecturers are really good at explaining things and there are also voluntary classes that you can attend if you're struggling slightly. As long as you work hard and go to lectures then it should be fine.

Hope this has helped! If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CampusCat)
    Hi there!

I'm a current student at Essex and I did an Economics module in my first year. It does have quite a lot of maths in it and I found that having done A Level maths I was in quite a good position to understand a lot of the work. Having said that, the lecturers are really good at explaining things and there are also voluntary classes that you can attend if you're struggling slightly. As long as you work hard and go to lectures then it should be fine.

Hope this has helped! If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!
    Hi, so not doing A-level maths is not gonna put me at that much of a disadvtage, thanks, also are there modules that don't cover that much math but more economics theory and that, like i said i only done maths uptill GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwaway420)
    Hi, so not doing A-level maths is not gonna put me at that much of a disadvtage, thanks, also are there modules that don't cover that much math but more economics theory and that, like i said i only done maths uptill GCSE
    Hey,

As long as you go to lectures and classes, and make use of the voluntary sessions if you're ever stuck with anything you'll be okay. Also, visiting lecturers during their office hours is also really helpful. There are the compulsory modules that you have to take in first year that will cover the basics of economics and will have some maths in them. You can take a look here: http://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/detai...103&subgroup=3 and have a look at the structure of the course in detail.

Hope this has helped!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.