Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

getting onto a PGCE course? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a degree in Ancient History and Archaeology in the Autumn, and I'm not entirely sure of a future career, but I'm quite keen on teaching. However, does anybody know if my degree would be too specific to do a History PGCE, and is it possible, with say an RS A-Level, to do an RS PGCE? Cheers!

(Original post by Lothlorien)
    I'm starting a degree in Ancient History and Archaeology in the Autumn, and I'm not entirely sure of a future career, but I'm quite keen on teaching. However, does anybody know if my degree would be too specific to do a History PGCE, and is it possible, with say an RS A-Level, to do an RS PGCE? Cheers!
    I doubt very much whether you would be able to do a Religious Studies PGCE with a History Degree unless there were some RS study component in it. However there are short courses that can be taken during the summer for those who wish to teach a subject that they do not have an undergraduate degree in. If you enroll in a short course in RS then that would make you eligable to undertake the RS PGCE.

Also bear in mind that an unofficial requirement is for at least a few days work experience in a school - the Government website doesn't really mention this but it is a requirement amongst many PGCE providers.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! Yeah, I thought it was probably unlikely nowadays to teach RS without a relevant degree.

I was worried about my degree being too specific, because I have a friend doing an Ancient history degree who's been told that it will be harder for her to get onto a history PGCE course because she won't have a straight history degree :confused:

thanks for the advice about work experience...I hadn't thought of that!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.