getting onto a PGCE course?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Lothlorien
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I'm starting a degree in Ancient History and Archaeology in the Autumn, and I'm not entirely sure of a future career, but I'm quite keen on teaching. However, does anybody know if my degree would be too specific to do a History PGCE, and is it possible, with say an RS A-Level, to do an RS PGCE? Cheers!
Biggles
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lothlorien)
I'm starting a degree in Ancient History and Archaeology in the Autumn, and I'm not entirely sure of a future career, but I'm quite keen on teaching. However, does anybody know if my degree would be too specific to do a History PGCE, and is it possible, with say an RS A-Level, to do an RS PGCE? Cheers!
I doubt very much whether you would be able to do a Religious Studies PGCE with a History Degree unless there were some RS study component in it. However there are short courses that can be taken during the summer for those who wish to teach a subject that they do not have an undergraduate degree in. If you enroll in a short course in RS then that would make you eligable to undertake the RS PGCE.

Also bear in mind that an unofficial requirement is for at least a few days work experience in a school - the Government website doesn't really mention this but it is a requirement amongst many PGCE providers.
Lothlorien
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Cheers! Yeah, I thought it was probably unlikely nowadays to teach RS without a relevant degree.

I was worried about my degree being too specific, because I have a friend doing an Ancient history degree who's been told that it will be harder for her to get onto a history PGCE course because she won't have a straight history degree :confused:

thanks for the advice about work experience...I hadn't thought of that!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (98)
53.85%
Yes, but I want to swap them (14)
7.69%
No, but I know who I want to choose (18)
9.89%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (45)
24.73%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (7)
3.85%

Watched Threads