Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How do i improve in english?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a year 10 student and my target grade in English is 8 for year 11. In the recent English literature essay i wrote about 'Merchant of Venice' i barely got a 6. I know I have two years to improve but my teacher said that if you got one grade below your target grade then you're on target so i'm currently below target.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to improve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1203)
    I'm a year 10 student and my target grade in English is 8 for year 11. In the recent English literature essay i wrote about 'Merchant of Venice' i barely got a 6. I know I have two years to improve but my teacher said that if you got one grade below your target grade then you're on target so i'm currently below target.
    English Tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1203)
    Practice your writing.- Ensure that you are aware of all the language features and practice by using them. This could also increase your style and the way you write.
    Practice lots of past papers and use the mark scheme to help you track what grade you are currently on.

:goodluck:

ReputationRep:
    Show your drafts to your teacher and use her feedback to help you improve. Have a meeting with her and ask her what you can do to make it atleast a 7.Go to any extra classes or ask your friends what they written to help you dont copy.

ReputationRep:
    honestly with english the more you read the better you will be- you'll wrote more fluently and have a much wider view of the subject. With essays, plan them before you start my teacher always used to say 'fail to plan, plan to fail'. look at your text, pick out quotations and then just look at that one quote and write down everypossible annotation for it. also cool literary terms will bump your grade so i suggest buying a literary terms dictionary- there are some rlly wierd things in there but they might help you. hope all goes well

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.