Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am still undecided on my future career plans, I am in my first year of a levels and after having the original plan of dentistry I soon realised my gcse grades weren't good enough. I have recently considered engineering, pharmacy, optemetry as well as computing. With engineering and computing I am looking into a foundation year due to not having the right a levels (currently doing biology, chemistry and psychology). I have some interest in all of these but the other criteria I have is salary, work hours job availability. I know it is quite early to be thinking about this but I like to have a clear idea of where I want to be so I can work towards it. The grades I believe would be achievable for me are between AAB-BBB

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it doesn't matter! I've finished my degree and I'm still not sure :lol: #Moooose

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

What degree did you complete?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think at that stage, it's not vastly important to know what you're going to do - what subject interests you most?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I think at that stage, it's not vastly important to know what you're going to do - what subject interests you most?
    I would say biology, history and physics but I also see potential income as a factor

ReputationRep:
    bruh half of the year 13s I know have applied to uni without really knowing what they want to do as a career, it doesn't matter despite every teacher and relative asking you with the assumption that you've already made your mind up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkr32)
    I would say biology, history and physics but I also see potential income as a factor
    Have you talked to your teachers/year leader about the options you have?

ReputationRep:
    Have you talked to your teachers/year leader about the options you have?
    I have attempted to on various occasions but it is usually met with quite an ambiguous response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkr32)
    I am still undecided on my future career plans, I am in my first year of a levels and after having the original plan of dentistry I soon realised my gcse grades weren't good enough. I have recently considered engineering, pharmacy, optemetry as well as computing. With engineering and computing I am looking into a foundation year due to not having the right a levels (currently doing biology, chemistry and psychology). I have some interest in all of these but the other criteria I have is salary, work hours job availability. I know it is quite early to be thinking about this but I like to have a clear idea of where I want to be so I can work towards it. The grades I believe would be achievable for me are between AAB-BBB
    see if you can get some work shadowing in any of the areas so you can see what the day to day reality of the jobs are like or even just a chat with a local pharmacist or optician. Don't feel you have to apply to university next year just because- don't be afraid to take a gap year if you aren't certain.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkr32)
    I have attempted to on various occasions but it is usually met with quite an ambiguous response.
    That's unfortunate!

I'd try and spend some time thinking of what you're really passionate about, and then researching different degrees you could get relating to that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's unfortunate!

I'd try and spend some time thinking of what you're really passionate about, and then researching different degrees you could get relating to that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which one of these career paths would you say is the most lucrative and rewarding?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkr32)
    Which one of these career paths would you say is the most lucrative and rewarding?
    It depends what you mean by rewarding really - in terms of passion, it's whatever you enjoy most. In terms of expected salary, you should be able to find an average for each course online

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.