Best way to revise for an essay based exam? Watch

Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm basically turning all the learning outcomes we get at the end of our slides into questions and typing little answers up for them. (I study Psychology)

How do people revise through simply reading the content? I'd like to know how to do this effectively too!

Also, please share some other tips too!
JustGeorgeJ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Captivated)
So I'm basically turning all the learning outcomes we get at the end of our slides, turning them into questions and typing little answers up for them. (I study Psychology)

How do people revise through simply reading the content? I'd like to know how to do this effectively too?

Also, share some other tips too!
Hello

That's a really fantastic way to revise your content!
When it comes to revising books and the content within those, don't look at the books as a whole, that can be daunting. Look for chapters that will best suit your studies, write down quotations that you find interesting or useful and do this with different books and chapters!

Good luck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
Hello

That's a really fantastic way to revise your content!
When it comes to revising books and the content within those, don't look at the books as a whole, that can be daunting. Look for chapters that will best suit your studies, write down quotations that you find interesting or useful and do this with different books and chapters!

Good luck
Hey Thank you so much for the response. That sounds really effective actually, I'll try it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I used to write mind maps which were basically the loose structure of an essay e.g. on the topic of medication I might have mind maps on
- efficacy studies
- placebo effect
- biological approach
- etc
depending on the lecturers focus and previous papers you can usually guage the basics of what questions can come up and then just tweak your plan according to the specific wording if needed
in my mind map I'd have 3-5 main offshoots which would each form a paragraph of my essay and off each of those I would have several references/ideas

I also used to make prompt cards so one side might be 'Milgram 1964' and the other side the basic details of the study so I would be able to test myself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.87%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (327)
63.62%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.67%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.84%

Watched Threads