Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Best way to revise for an essay based exam?

So I'm basically turning all the learning outcomes we get at the end of our slides into questions and typing little answers up for them. (I study Psychology)

How do people revise through simply reading the content? I'd like to know how to do this effectively too!

Also, please share some other tips too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    So I'm basically turning all the learning outcomes we get at the end of our slides, turning them into questions and typing little answers up for them. (I study Psychology)

How do people revise through simply reading the content? I'd like to know how to do this effectively too?

Also, share some other tips too!
    Hello

That's a really fantastic way to revise your content!
    When it comes to revising books and the content within those, don't look at the books as a whole, that can be daunting. Look for chapters that will best suit your studies, write down quotations that you find interesting or useful and do this with different books and chapters!

Good luck

(Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello

That's a really fantastic way to revise your content!
    When it comes to revising books and the content within those, don't look at the books as a whole, that can be daunting. Look for chapters that will best suit your studies, write down quotations that you find interesting or useful and do this with different books and chapters!

Good luck
    Hey Thank you so much for the response. That sounds really effective actually, I'll try it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to write mind maps which were basically the loose structure of an essay e.g. on the topic of medication I might have mind maps on
    - efficacy studies
    - placebo effect
    - biological approach
    - etc
    depending on the lecturers focus and previous papers you can usually guage the basics of what questions can come up and then just tweak your plan according to the specific wording if needed
    in my mind map I'd have 3-5 main offshoots which would each form a paragraph of my essay and off each of those I would have several references/ideas

I also used to make prompt cards so one side might be 'Milgram 1964' and the other side the basic details of the study so I would be able to test myself

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.